• 5(current)
Prometheus Home Theater PC
I don't know, possibly using your business in your name ?

Who was the PM from?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-06-11, 01:20)PrometheusOne Wrote: Nick, we certainly did consider the legal ramifications of the licenses. As stated above, we made sure to be compliant and contacted the principals for all of the licenses involved.

As a side note, I received a PM indicating that I am in violation of the forum rules for my username. I attempted to reply to the message however, the sender has disabled private messaging. Pardon my ignorance; what is my violation?

From Forum rules

Quote:Users may not use company names or websites as usernames, unless those companies or websites are legal non-profits or XBMC sponsors, and then the user must include a personal identifier (e.g. XBMCSponser-Nate or Nonprofit-Nate).
Excellent point.

The business name is Dream State Technologies Corp. We are based out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The website is http://www.getxbmc.com. I am not sure why we are receiving such animosity from a community that we support. The rules quoted above by an official representative of the XBMC.org present no violation of the of their official forum agreement. Look boys, put the big boy pants on. If you want to deal with me in a public forum you go right ahead. I hide behind no avatar... this is me Adam Phillips http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet...rId,38221/ . We as a company have adopted an AMAZING piece of software to make a profit. I suggest we all put our big boy pants and resolve any issues that you have with us in private. Otherwise, I am more than willing to complete this debate in a public arena. Govern yourself accordingly.
^^^ You should really work on your sales pitch.
Well, our sales pitch is straight up honesty. I think we have delivered.
You might want to be aware that there are prior users of the Prometheus name in the XBMC-space.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161697
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm not really sure why this has become such a big deal. From a humble end user perspective, I see a company selling a product and not violating any rules AFAICT. People have been made aware of this product, and there are enough posts here on alternatives and let them make their own decision. The company and product are making XBMC more popular which is all that matters in the end. I see nothing deceptive or shady.

Not really sure what else is there to discuss on this issue.
Yeah, I think user XbmcTrans got everyone wound up when as alternative and opinions were suggested he went on long-winded rants telling everyone they don't know WTF they're talking about. That's probably not the best approach in the hardware forum where yeah, people might know WTF they are talking about, especially given this thread where the same hardware (from August 2013) has been discussed ad naseum: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171705

Now the company itself has arrived and ask everyone if they want to step outside and fight.

This isn't really off to a good start.
As one of the parties directly involved in the long-winded ranting and debating, I think that the majority of the perceived drama regarding the discussion of the Prometheus Box has to do with XbmcTrans taking my analysis of the product's value as a statement of disrespect and/or of saying that the company selling the product is in the wrong.

Let me be clear: there is nothing wrong or unethical (that I can see, at least) about the Prometheus Box with regards to its performance, specifications, marketing, or anything about it. The only comment I had to make was that the hardware inside of it was relatively old (but not necessarily outdated or insufficient) and that it was going to deliver performance in line with all the other similar mini PCs that had the same hardware. With that in mind, there was no need to "wait for reviews," as one user stated. This wasn't a new and different machine, and I was simply trying to point that out to some people. I also did not feel that its price represented a good value to those who were comfortable considering other options. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, but I clearly explained that one could save a lot of money with an alternative if they put in a little bit of work on their end. I'd wager that the little bit of work to save $150 is much less than the time and effort it takes most of us to earn $150 at our jobs.

I don't think anything I said about the Prometheus Box portrayed it in a bad light or made it look like a poor product, and I don't have any issues with anyone in this thread or in the forum altogether. There isn't anything that needs to be discussed or ironed out. I just took an opportunity to try educating people about their options and somehow, it went in the wrong direction.

EDIT: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=197562

(2014-06-10, 20:25)Sniffer77 Wrote: My knowledge of computers is poor but I'm willing to give it a go.
(2014-06-10, 20:25)Sniffer77 Wrote: I've seen the Prometheus box advertised which seems a easy solution but I'm not sure re value for my cash but does appear decent.

See, things like that. That's the exact kind of situation I was referring to. That's kind of why I made my original post, so people can be aware of other options, kind of like that guy is.
Dougie, no one is asking for a fight. We didn't pick it but be sure we will finish it. We adhere to licensing requirements, we support our product to a level far beyond any other supplier and our philosophy mirrors XBMC's own manifesto, which I will quote because I am quite sure most of the posters here have never read it;
" 1 User-friendliness is next to godlyness

One major ongoing goal of Team-XBMC has always been to make XBMC and its user interface feel even more intuitive and user-friendly for its end-users, based on the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle of simplicity. It is our belief that usability is the most important aspect of a media center like XBMC. Many other media center projects make user interface decisions by developers, who often have little experience in user interface design. In contrast, Team-XBMC does its best to listen to XBMC's end-users to learn how XBMC is actually being used and how we can improve the user experience. We also aim to do regular overhauls, improving existing features/functions, and scrapping outdated code and features/functions (as "too much stuff" adds unnecessary complexity and can thus also be a bad thing). Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. "

This is exactly what we strive for and feel that we have done THE BEST of any commercial XBMC product out there. Our interface is intuitive, the performance is impeccable and the experience is second to none; We stand by our offering with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee whereas our customers can return for a full refund if unsatisfied after 30 days. We have a 3 year manufacturer warranty on the hardware. We aren't flashing android boxes or jailbreaking apple tv's, we are offering a supported product that delivers an EXCELLENT XBMC experience. Yet, here I am in a forum supposedly dedicated to the sharing of a great piece of software, defending my choice of username that may, or may not be in violation of a forum rule, to a user that won't accept a private message. Yet, I put out my company name, area of operation and my personal/professional profile and my toll free number to contact me. Somehow, I don't think that we should be seen as the enemy.
(2014-06-11, 06:10)PrometheusOne Wrote: We didn't pick it but be sure we will finish it.

I am not even sure what this means or who it's intended to impress. The thinly veiled threats and insults in your post aren't lost on anyone.

This is the hardware forum of the XBMC community. Most everyone in this forum is a consumer of XBMC. We discuss hardware. I don't know what beef you have with the mods or developers but we're not the enemy either.

Your time might be better spent discussing how your box is better than the alternatives discussed, such as the X-26 box in the thread I linked. There's a lot of question/speculation about what your value-add is. Wouldn't it be great if when someone Googles your product if that's the kind of discussion they find here (this will be Google page 1) instead of more promises to finish us off in "the fight?"

Anyway, this is getting boring. Enjoy your fight.
No worries Doug. Just having a tough day I guess. I just wanted to come and clear up a few things. I hope we can all get along.
(2014-06-10, 15:45)MarcosQui Wrote: I see the Aeon MQ being sold in this product. I don't remember giving my consent to it.
It involves fonts (non-commercial), backgrounds (non-commercial), my textures (my rights) and the name/original 'Aeon' is the intellectual property of _djh.

I get the sentiment but Aeon MQ 5 is in the official repo right ?
If you didn't publicize the entire source and graphics under an open-source license we wouldn't accept it.
I am not sure how much intellectual property there is left for you to give consent to it's usage. edit: you licensed it under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
The same goes for the name Aeon, which by the way is just taken from the movie. Very unlikely djh_ has any kind of intellectual property on *that*.
(2014-06-12, 23:13)Kib Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 15:45)MarcosQui Wrote: I see the Aeon MQ being sold in this product. I don't remember giving my consent to it.
It involves fonts (non-commercial), backgrounds (non-commercial), my textures (my rights) and the name/original 'Aeon' is the intellectual property of _djh.

I get the sentiment but Aeon MQ 5 is in the official repo right ?
If you didn't publicize the entire source and graphics under an open-source license we wouldn't accept it.
I am not sure how much intellectual property there is left for you to give consent to it's usage.
The same goes for the name Aeon, which by the way is just taken from the movie. Very unlikely djh_ has any kind of intellectual property on *that*.
I think i quoted the relevant piece of the license in post 59 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1731630

Of course the authors retain the copyright, and can release future versions under any license they like.
No actually he cant rerelease it under a stricter license - SA forbids it - but that is not the point.

MarcosQui explicitely shared it under a license allowing anyone to use it, even commercially. The only thing they (simply said) need to do is include a statement that it is a modification of his work, and not put a more restrictive license on it.

It is weird that he says he never agreed to the use, because the license specifically states that that consent isn't needed.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prometheus Home Theater PC1