Choppy Playback
Hi everyone

I have consulted various threads and especially looked into finding out if my audio settings were faulty, but I couldnt solve my problem, so here it goes:

For a few days I have been experiencing choppy playback. Its a problem that didnt occur before, and I am not sure what could have triggered it, since I did not install anything. Playback starts being funny pretty much exactly 3mins10secs into the file. It can be temporarily fixed by pausing/unpausing, but just for another 3m10s.

I am running XBMC 13.1. on a Win 8.1./64 bit. My setup is: HTPC <-> AVR (TEAC AG-D500) <-> Benq TH681 Projector

Please find the log here:
Log

The stuttering starts at 0:43

This is my first post of this kind, so please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Thanks alot!
You need to provide a debug log (not just a log) this thread may help You need to be playing the video, run into the error, then shutdown.

This is probably what you're looking for http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911
"AE_FMT_AAC" on device "AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device)" seems to be not supported.

00:39:26 T:1444 NOTICE: DXVA::CProcessorHD:TonguereInit - The Direct3d device doesn't support DXVA-HD.
00:39:26 T:1444 NOTICE: CWinRenderer:Tonguereinit - could not init DXVA-HD processor - skipping

00:39:27 T:3540 NOTICE: D3D: rendering method forced to DXVA processor
00:39:27 T:1444 WARNING: CWinRenderer::UpdateVideoFilter - chosen scaling method 1 is not supported by renderer
00:39:27 T:4784 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

I think you need to play about with your video settings, it looks like it does not support the above for video anyway ? The AAC should not be relevant as it was a DTS track with the video, but unsure.
Thanks for the first replies guys.

I was gonna take a "proper" debug log and realized that I cannot reproduce the bug now. Everything seems to work fine.
I will keep monitoring this and post again with a proper log if the bug comes back!

Edit: There is something else I noticed though when looking at the log. I removed that part, because i didnt deem it relevant to the bug above, but I noticed XBMC on startup scans Z:\ when looking for my movies. In fact thats where my movie collection used to be located, before I moved it to Y:\
I already adjusted the source in XBMC, but how can I stop it from searching for my collection on Z:\ even though everything was correctly found in Y already?
Do a system clean, check paths in edit sources, if you find a reference to Z: delete and use system clean again.

manually..

Check the file at C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata/sources.xml with an editor and see if Z is in the list..delete the reference if there is.
Hi PatK

Thanks for your reply again...
Sorry for abandoning the thread, I was on holidays Wink

Ill check it out once Im at home and see if it works!

Have a nice week

Nick
Ok system clean worked well for the dead links.

However the stuttering problem came back.

The log is here:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=259588

I exited XBMC right after, so the stuttering happened just before the end of the log.
I've ended up going back to frodo on my AMD based windows machine because of this stutter with HD content. Unfortunately I didn't get a debug log before reverting, so will be watching this thread with interest. It's certainly not uncommon based on my googling.
Hi guys,

just bumping this as I would be eternally grateful if someone could have a look at the log.
Thanks!
My debug log here

I decided to give Gotham another try - after confirming that Frodo 12.3 worked without any stutter. The stutter has returned with Gotham 13.2. I've tried as many combinations of audio settings, video settings as I can think of - including running through the sticky on this subject.

My system details:

System info:
XBMC (13.2 Git:20140817-0f3db05). Platform: x86 Win32 32-bit
Using Release XBMC x32 build, compiled Aug 17 2014 by MSVC 160040219 for x86 Win32 32-bit version 0x06000000
Running on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, build 7601
Processor AMD A4-4000 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 3000 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 6502, 17/01/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.20 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.39 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.06 GB
(2014-08-21, 14:29)mitchell.ross Wrote: My debug log here

I decided to give Gotham another try - after confirming that Frodo 12.3 worked without any stutter. The stutter has returned with Gotham 13.2. I've tried as many combinations of audio settings, video settings as I can think of - including running through the sticky on this subject.

My system details:

System info:
XBMC (13.2 Git:20140817-0f3db05). Platform: x86 Win32 32-bit
Using Release XBMC x32 build, compiled Aug 17 2014 by MSVC 160040219 for x86 Win32 32-bit version 0x06000000
Running on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, build 7601
Processor AMD A4-4000 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 3000 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 6502, 17/01/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.20 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.39 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.06 GB

Can you confirm how your devices are connected together and how you are trying to route sound between them, as from the log it appears you you're currently using SPDIF, however it also appears you have a HDMI connection to a AVR.
Thanks for looking at the log. You're quite correct. I have the Sony receiver connected via SPDIF. It has no HDMI capability. TV is connected via HDMI. I always use the receiver for audio playback - TV volume always at zero.

So two outputs from the htpc - one SPDIF headed for the receiver and one HDMI headed for the TV.
Could you post a screenshot of your current audio settings, you might need to scroll down and do a 2nd to capture everything, use a service such as http://imgur.com
Thanks for taking the time to look at the log jjg. I think I've narrowed the problem down to being LiveTV on my windows system (the system which has both the DVBLink PVR backend and XBMC frontend). But strangely if I step back 10 seconds the video playbacks smoothly. As the issue doesn't appear on other front ends (Mac OS, OpenElec Pi) when connecting to the windows backend, I'm not sure where to write this issue up (i.e. is it a PVR issue, a video playback issue etc). However, I don't think I should pursue this issue any further in this post as it now appears that it's a different issue to the OP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy Playback0