Is their a step by step guide to installing XBMC on Linux for Noobs!
Is their a step by step guide to installing XBMC on Linux for Noobs!

I have not idea what file to download off soundforge and how to install XBMC.

Ive looked and couldnt find a guide anywhere.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thankyou, Matt

P.S Sorry for the Noobness of my question, please refrain from pointing out my stupidity
:confused2:
Try this for starters -> http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...ource_code

Suggest strongly that once you have followed the directions for setting up Subversion and downloading the source code that you READ the README.linux file that comes down with it. The instructions in that will be most up to date vs what is on the Wiki. The Wiki will give you a good flavor for what's needed. Suggest you use Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop, there's a link in my signature.

Here's another good link ->
http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*...ADME.linux
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK beat me to it..

As he said, I'd read the readme.linux as it is more current than the wiki.

Don't expect much more support than that as it is still pre-alpha and not recommended for linux beginners.
Thanx guys.. got a few spare pcs in the house so thought I try it and see how it goes.

Matt
And so it begins Sad
althekiller Wrote:And so it begins Sad

Aw c'mon now this isn't bad. Excitement over this project is a good thing! With your build script and the instructions in the Readme this isn't really too hard to setup. Ubuntu has even made the Linux part of it accessible to many without much fuss. We can always point future folks just getting into this at threads like this one to get them started. The more oddball hardware and the more eyeballs just means that there's more people testing....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I meant the fact that this guy obviously did NO research before posting. Everything is available plain as day so long as you read.
althekiller Wrote:I meant the fact that this guy obviously did NO research before posting. Everything is available plain as day so long as you read.

Well, I suppose if you came across this port in the forum and didn't spot the Wiki page it might be pretty confusing. <shrug>
+1 for Noob-Guide. Big Grin

I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing if a total-noob-step-by-step-guide got written and pinned in this sub-forum.
there already is a guide.

If you want a more simplified guide then make one yourself. But accomodating all the possible errors in all the possible hardware configurations may be difficult.

Respect that the program hasnt been released. Use it at your own risk and dont expect support.
I didn't say "Write one."
I said that it would be nice to have one.

Yeah, I'm a total Linux-Noob. I've never worked on it nor I installed it on my PC... And because of this lack of knowledge I asked friends to help me with the Linux-part.

I even read different threads about how to compile the XBMC and I think I can make it on my own.

BUT:
It's for sure that there will be people which won't use the search-function, won't ask friends, won't think on their own...
Quote:I didn't say "Write one."
I said that it would be nice to have one.

guides dont make themselves....

Quote:It's for sure that there will be people which won't use the search-function, won't ask friends, won't think on their own...

Why should these people be testing unreleased programsHuh?
Nick8888 Wrote:guides dont make themselves....

Really? Sad

(I tried to make a difference between a demand and a polite question. Since I'm not a native english speaker and far away from being good in this language it's some kind of problem to clearify exactly what I want to say... Confused )

Quote:Why should these people be testing unreleased programsHuh?

Simple Answer... they are curious. Nod

They started with XBMC on their Xbox and can't run HD-material these days... so the want the Linux-Port for HD-Playback.
Well basically, the guide is as simple as it can be and the build script does most of the job anyway.

Quote:It's for sure that there will be people which won't use the search-function, won't ask friends, won't think on their own...
If they are curious and wanting to play around with the program, they have to accept some level of self thinking at this stage.

Of course this will change once the program is released id imagine.
Cheers for all the help guys.. will sit own on the weekend and do some reading.

Love the community that surrounds XBMC.

Best program and community in the world.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is their a step by step guide to installing XBMC on Linux for Noobs!1