Run XBMC for Linux without GNOME, KDE, or XFCE?
When I installed 8.04 server I used the video driver straight from nvidia instead of using envy to install drivers.. the nvidia installer would not compile the driver with the server kernel so I had to install the generic kernel.. the generic kernel plays a little nicer with things...
Would it be possible to have a version of Linux which has XBMC as the dashboard/start-screen (whatever you want to call it)? It would need some extra functionality but I reckon it would make a really good OS.
People are already stripping Ubuntu and making XBMC auto start without a real window manager running in the background. Try searching the user forums. Other than that the team has already said it would like to one day release as its own distribution, but this is not on any timeline as we would much rather fix all of the current problems it has rather than introduce new ones.
http://lifehacker.com/395212/run-xbox-me...-usb-drive

This build will allow you to boot directly from a USB drive, regardless of the OS
rrambo Wrote:InDash... I'm pretty much following the same procedure with 8.04.. instead of x-window-system, I install xorg.. and I just use the ppa now instead of the .deb.. so the scripts have to be changed a little to reflect where the install of xbmc is with the ppa install.. still works great... no window manager.. autostarts and runs xbmc and boots quickly..

rrambo (or anyone else who has figured this out):

I am playing around with this today/tomorrow. I start by installing Hardy command-line only. This installs the generic kernel. I then install Xorg, openssh-server, etc., to get stuff going. I add the PPAs and install XBMC. However, as you noted above, using the PPAs, the paths are different. How would I modify your script to reflect the correct paths (I have looked and cannot figure out what the correct paths are? Do you mind posting your new, revised scripts here?
Supporter of all things Linux, Android, XBMC and NextPVR
Im using these scripts. They work with the ppa install.

XboxMediaCenter.sh

Quote:#/usr/local/bin/XboxMediaCenter.sh

#Script to start x server and XBMC

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/X11/xinit /usr/bin/xbmc &
irexec -d /root/.lircrc &
fi

XboxMediaCenter

Quote:#/etc/init.d/XboxMediaCenter

#Start XBMC

#!/bin/sh

export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/xbmc
export HOME=/root

case "$1" in
start) echo -n "Starting XboxMediaCenter"

setterm -blank 0

/usr/local/bin/XboxMediaCenter.sh

esac
exit 0
Thanks, Harry.

I assume the irexec stuff in the shell script is for kill/restart -- which I haven't setup yet -- so I took that part out.

Why does the script use "xinit" and not "startx"? I understand that startx is a frontend for xinit, though I do not know what that means.
These scripts worked great -- thanks.
No problem. Glad they worked.
Is there any way to adapt these scripts so that they can start X and xbmc as a non-root user?
This is what I use right now, hope it helps.
Note: it runs xbmc as user 'xbmc'.

/usr/bin/start-xbmc
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#/usr/bin/start-xbmc

export set XBMC_HOME=/usr/share/xbmc
export set DISPLAY=:0
export set HOME=/home/xbmc
/usr/bin/xbmc -fs -q

/etc/init.d/xbmc
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#/etc/init.d/xbmc

# export set __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1
export set XBMC_HOME=/usr/share/xbmc
export set DISPLAY=:0
export set HOME=/home/xbmc

# starting Xorg and XBMC For Linux
case "$1" in
  start)
    exec /usr/bin/Xorg > /dev/null 2>&1 &
    sleep 2
    sudo -u xbmc /usr/bin/start-xbmc > /dev/null 2>&1 &
    ;;
  stop)
    killall Xorg xbmc
    ;;

esac

exit 0

Set permissions and create a symlink to auto start on boot.
Code:
sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/xbmc /usr/bin/start-xbmc
sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/xbmc /etc/rc2.d/S90xbmc
I followed the last post and had some issues. I couldn't for the life of my figure out why it wasn't booting. I had to change the user from xbmc to my ubuntu username. Then the fix for boot was to do
Code:
update-rc.d xbmc defaults
I also removed the symbolic link after that in rc2.d

This did the trick. The only thing I can't get to work is starting gnome after stopping xbmc. it complains that the display is in use...
I forgot I also had to run:

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

to stop gdm starting by default
Just wanted to say to those that arenr awar that you can run xbmc --standalone which will add different defaults, meaning.
xbmc will statt in fullsxreen by default.
xbmc will automount removable drives
xbmc will shutdown the computer by default instead of just closing
xbmc will be able to setup the network (currently needs root priv.)

Team-xbmc will continue to add better defaults with this command so you can easier enjoy that embedded xbox fealing.

Cheers
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I have XboxLive installed on my HTPC and decided to install gnome on my system. Yeah, I know - not smart. No

So it botched up the autoboot of xbmc. I removed the autostart of gnome but I'm not sure how I should go about putting the autostart of xbmc back online.

I'll probably try what is shown about in this thread (except use --standalone, as topfs2 suggested). But I thought that I'd do a bump on this thread and see if anyone knows a better way, now with the latest XBMCLive install.

Thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run XBMC for Linux without GNOME, KDE, or XFCE?0