How to make xbmc autorun at startup
So I dont seem to be able to figure out how to get xbmc to automatically run when the computer starts up!

I'm running 8.04

I've seen a post that refers to "System->Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs" but I cant find those menu items anywhere...

help please Smile
a
Funny that a quick search for "autostart" brings up this...

Please don't be so lazy next time.
jeez... no need to be rude!! I'm a total beginner at this and part of the problem is not knowing the correct terms for things (under linux) and therefor my hours of searching earlier for everything to do with "ubuntu / load /xbmc / startup / autoload" came up with nothing. And even if I did find something there's a fat chance I'd know what to look for!

SO... I am absolutely grateful for your help and maybe next time you could be a bit nicer about it Smile
to find out the command used to open up sessions, i used "xprop". This revealed the command is "gnome-session-properties"

open up a terminal and type this into it

gnome-session-properties

and in the tab "startup programs" click add and do this

name= xbmc

command= xbmc.bin
comment= awsome entertainment system! (or what ever youw ant)

okay it and reboot. if you want it in fullscreen and have issues, someone can help no problem.

if you do not have gnome-session-properties installed, do a

sudo apt-get install gnome-session

in the terminal and this should work for you.

WARNING! make sure you are running ubuntu hardy heron for that command. I am not sure what it will do on a kubuntu setup.
WOAH! sorry, replace the command with

command= xbmc

just use xbmc in the command. NOT xbmc.bin. It was a typo.
Correction, change command= xbmc.bin

instead of xbmc.bin, use plain old xbmc as a command
Yeah... I thik that more what I was looking for - Thanks heap for that! Will try it tonight and let you know!

ta

A
Along the lines of the original question...

I did find all the previously mentioned menu items and added XBMC as a startup program and it works fine. Only problem is I can't figure out how to get it to open in full screen. Is there a switch I can add to /usr/bin/xbmc make it happen?
UncleDirtNap Wrote:Along the lines of the original question...

I did find all the previously mentioned menu items and added XBMC as a startup program and it works fine. Only problem is I can't figure out how to get it to open in full screen. Is there a switch I can add to /usr/bin/xbmc make it happen?

Just go to Settings > Appearance > Screen and change your resolution there to Full Screen.. It will stick and the next time you start it, it will be full screen.
Big Grin 
You rock rrambo! All you guys rock!

I'm up and running and loving my XBMC again - woooo hoooo!

Thanks for all the help!
UncleDirtNap Wrote:You rock rrambo! All you guys rock!

I'm up and running and loving my XBMC again - woooo hoooo!

Thanks for all the help!

You will also need to turn of any animation effects especially in Hardy as with them enabled they will prevent XBMC going into full screen. (Will still be in a window).
Cresho:

Cant get that gnome-session-properties command to work for the life of me.

Its installed and i'm running Ubuntu Hardy Herron but all i get is this:

**(gnome-session-properties:6052): CRITICAL **: gsm_protocol_new: assertion 'GSM_IS_GNOME_CLIENT (gnome client)' failed
session manager does not support GNOME extensions

Any clues??

Such a bummer - thought this was gonna be the end of the road!! SO CLOSE!!!
K... so it seems my system has updated and installed 8.04 LTS which included installng all the menu options I was missing so i've now worked out how to get XBMC to run at startup (YAY!!)

BUT... It wont run in full screen for some weird reason (it used to!!!)

I have followed the instructions given here about setting the screen size to the full screen res (which it is set to) but it doesnt do it anymore..

It does run almost full screen... but with the top and bottom 'task' bars still visible and the window bar/buttons visible.

Any clues?
Sounds to me like what blake said.

On my machine with effects on, i get the taskbar at top and bottom, even in full screen, but with effects off i get proper full screen.

This setting can be found in system-preferances-appearance-visual effects.

Also for anyone interested, i noticed that in the compiz configuration window you can set the option "redirect fullscreen windows" and it works full screen with effects on, but it's slow and buggy.

Shorty
We've recommended completely disabling compiz on Hardy in several threads. Why no one can seem to find these is beyond me Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to make xbmc autorun at startup0