• 9(current)
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox
us1111 Wrote:Hmmm.. I'm trying to use this under linux.. It all seems to work, only thing is that the launched application gets put to the background by XBMC.. I tried to do the same with a small python script:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import os
cmd = '/root/firefox'
os.system(cmd)

but getting the same behaviour.. The executable is started but not showing up.. Any1 has this problem under linux under control?
I don't have any problem under linux, but I don't use window manager (like metacity) - I launch xbmc and the other applications directly over the X.
us1111 Wrote:Hmmm.. I'm trying to use this under linux.. It all seems to work, only thing is that the launched application gets put to the background by XBMC.. I tried to do the same with a small python script:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import os
cmd = '/root/firefox'
os.system(cmd)

but getting the same behaviour.. The executable is started but not showing up.. Any1 has this problem under linux under control?

Maybe you have some "auto-bring-window-with mouse-over-it"
activated in your WM?
Nope.. I run XBMC without a WM.. How do you guys start XBMC without the window manager? I do it with "xinit xbmc.bin" (but then more elaborate in a script ofcourse). When I start xbmc within Gnome and windowed, the launcher and script work...
no matter if i launch xbmc with or without wm in backround i got some
troubles with launching several apps in fullscreen too.
seems to be some sdl problem. i posted a nasty workaround which works
for me in this thread some days ago.
( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739&page=6 )
an alternative would be to use devilspie, which could minimize xbmc
just before the app is launched. this works quiet fine too, but atm
i haven't found the place in the launcher where i should set the devilspie
command to re-fullscreen xbmc when the app is closed.
Just to say thank you for such a great plugin!!

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

Temhil Wrote:Just to say thank you for such a great plugin!!
You welcome, it's always good to hear such things.
leo2 Wrote:I don't have any problem under linux, but I don't use window manager (like metacity) - I launch xbmc and the other applications directly over the X.

Leo, could you describe how you start XBMC directly? I would like to clone your situation and see if I can get launcher to work under linux...
us1111 Wrote:Leo, could you describe how you start XBMC directly? I would like to clone your situation and see if I can get launcher to work under linux...

1. the gdm is disabled.
2. there is a script in /etc/init.d and /etc/rc3.d that runs the xbmc daemon:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "start" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/irexec &
        /usr/sbin/xbmc-daemon &
else
if [ "$1" = "stop" ] ; then
        pkill -9 xbmc
        pkill -9 xbmc-daemon
fi
fi
3. here's my xbmc-daemon
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#start X
/usr/bin/Xorg &
sleep 1

# set the background of the X to be an icon of XBMC so whenever xbmc
# crashes, we show the lovely logo instead of the X gray background
DISPLAY=:0 Esetroot -f /home/mc/.xbmc/xbmc.PNG

# do an endless loop that runs xbmc (so whenever XBMC crashes,
# it will startup again)
while [ 1 -eq 1 ] ; do
        # run XBMC as my user (mc)
        su - mc -c "DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/xbmc -p"
done
leo2 Wrote:1. the gdm is disabled.
2. there is a script in /etc/init.d and /etc/rc3.d that runs the xbmc daemon:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "start" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/irexec &
        /usr/sbin/xbmc-daemon &
else
if [ "$1" = "stop" ] ; then
        pkill -9 xbmc
        pkill -9 xbmc-daemon
fi
fi
3. here's my xbmc-daemon
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#start X
/usr/bin/Xorg &
sleep 1

# set the background of the X to be an icon of XBMC so whenever xbmc
# crashes, we show the lovely logo instead of the X gray background
DISPLAY=:0 Esetroot -f /home/mc/.xbmc/xbmc.PNG

# do an endless loop that runs xbmc (so whenever XBMC crashes,
# it will startup again)
while [ 1 -eq 1 ] ; do
        # run XBMC as my user (mc)
        su - mc -c "DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/xbmc -p"
done

Hmmm.. I think that's it.. You start xmbc independent of xorg.. I start it within the init stage.. Yours is better. Does your system shutdown when you manually shutdown xbmc however?
No, I didn't try it... (it's configured to shutdown XBMC only)
I am new user to xbmc. First thanks for the plugin, i was able to launch a exe, but i couldnot add anymore application. I read that you mentioned to use context-menu -> Add new Launcher, but if I right click on my mouse everthing goes away and the main menu shows up. am i doing something wrong

thanks
chum Wrote:I am new user to xbmc. First thanks for the plugin, i was able to launch a exe, but i couldnot add anymore application. I read that you mentioned to use context-menu -> Add new Launcher, but if I right click on my mouse everthing goes away and the main menu shows up. am i doing something wrong
thanks
yes, you should right-click on an item from the list.
Thanks. Now i was able to add game exe, but when I try to run them, all of them crashes immediately. When I try to run Farcry, it gave an error 'You're probably running tha executable from the wrong working folder'. Is there any arguments i need to include, when it asks me to browse for the executalbe files, it just pointed to the exe file.

is there any fix for this Huh
When using the Launcher with xbmc in full screen to start ZSNES on Vista I get an error from ZSNES (setcooperativelevel failed). ZSNES starts fine on its own and indeed works fine when xbmc is windowed.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can try to fix it? I played with autoit to try and minimise xbmc first with no real luck.
I must be missing something here. I'm running ubuntu 8.04 with beta 2 of xbmc. It's my first linux install so i may be doing something wacky but here's what I did.

I installed the plugin, tried to configure it, and it wouldn't let me browse anywhere outside my Home folder. So, I downloaded a copy of firefox for linux and put it in a folder called XBMC Apps in my home folder. I launched it to make sure it works by double clicking on the "firefox" file, not the firefox-bin file. I made sure it would run, then went into xbmc, configured it to launch that file, with no arguments. Now, when i try to run it via the plugin in xbmc, a dialog pops up for a split second that says "Launcher" in the top left, with a cancel button, and it dissappears after maybe a 50th of a second, and thats it.

Am I missing something obvious here?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox7