Anyone here used the Drobo?
I really like the kaleidescape movie system but unfortunately as it's $10,000 and only uses 2x250GB drives. For such a ripoff price. I want something similar.

I heard of drobo but the problem is you still need to connect drobo to a PC, is that right? Then you can stream the contents to an apple tv running XBMC?

I really am after the ultimate system where I can have one super slick PC with the thickness of either the apple tv or mac mini but double the length and running xbmc and then have a media server in another room that streams all the content to this super slick PC which sits under the TV. But if that media server could connect to my router and work without needing to plugged into the PC then that would be awesome. You know of anything like that?

I hope you can answer my questions guys

Many thanks in advance
Google "windows file sharing"
I did that and I know all that, but it doesn't really answer my question or perhaps I am missing something. Maybe you could help me on this please?
Sorry, I'm not as good as you are at using the internet. I had to type "drobo" in to my browsers address bar, and then click on "products".

http://www.drobo.com/Products/Index.html

Wonder what that DroboShare thing does?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I checked out that page before, I must of missed that. You don't need a computer to use this. That it totally awesome. Thanks. Now I just need a apple tv.
actually you need a computer unless you by apple airport extreme which is a router that allows you to run external hard drives without needing a computer. Or you can use the apple time capsule external hard drive. I just don't understand how you can get up to 16TB of hard disc space from this drobo that's case can only hold 4 bays, anyone know?
I own a Drobo and use it with XBMC. The maximum allowable space is restricted by the largest drives on the market. Currently I believe that's 1.5 which makes it a total of 6TB (I have 4). You will have no problem running it via network, but you would have to buy an additional device called the Drobo Share as the Drobo alone does not come with an Ethernet port. And I believe it does support SMB.

It's actually a nice looking piece of hardware. I have it sitting next to my AV equipment in the living room.
Buy to pc's one to plug into tv and run xbmc and one as server. Fill the server with has many drives as motherboard will take. And stream to your pc running xbmc. I have 3 htpc, 2 running meedio and one xbmx and 1 server (4tb). There are heaps of small form case's out there for the sleek look Shuttle, a-open.
Wireless N router + card, buy a super cheap computer from craigslist, run freenas (or similar software of your choice), put the server in the closet.

Done.

Unless you HAVE to have it sitting out somewhere, why waste money on something like drobo? I don't get it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
I beta tested the Drobo, I assume things have improved since then.

The drobo is fairly expensive for what it does. If you want a NAS type device you would also have to buy as others have said the Drobo Share which makes the device even MORE expensive.

The drobo is great for normal households with fairly limited storage needs, only 4 bays 1 of which is used for redundancy so storage space is limited (but so are some NAS like infrant). Good for a home storage, pictures, some videos, word docs etc.

One of the best benefits is that it can use variable sized drives, but with only 4 drive bays this benefit is reduced because you have to have 4 of the same size drives to make the best use of only the 4 bays...

If your media/xbmc needs are modest the drobo is a good easy to use solution. Though if you are looking at a more robust and flexible storage solution, you would be better off with FreeNAS or Unraid.
rwparris2 Wrote:Wireless N router + card, buy a super cheap computer from craigslist, run freenas (or similar software of your choice), put the server in the closet.

Done.

Unless you HAVE to have it sitting out somewhere, why waste money on something like drobo? I don't get it.

Raid features without Raid hassle? Pretty much the primary reason why I own one.
Crap picture, but you can see it sitting next to the lower right hand corner of the TV.

Inimical Wrote:Raid features without Raid hassle? Pretty much the primary reason why I own one.

hmmm don't know what technical knowledge you have but most similar NAS devices like infrant or Thecus, setup is hardly difficult.

Drobo is really easy, but if you can configure your router through a web interface then you could setup a similar NAS device.

The drobo does have an advantage in that it can use multiple sized drives so you can use what every you have around. But then again this is more geared toward modest storage needs because with only 4 bays you tend to waste space if your drives have too big of a size difference.

AKA if you have a 1TB, 500GB, 500GB, 500GB you would have the same storage space as if you had 4 500GB drives. (the largest drive is used for data redundancy in essence)
I've worked with Thecus in the past, and work with advanced raid arrays on a daily basis. And I can tell you that there is nothing easier to use than a Drobo. Not to mention rebuild times seem much faster to me. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to deal as little as possible with network related hardware when I'm home.
Many thanks for all the great replies

Firstly, what is SMB?

Secondly, On the drobo site it says the drobo can hold up to 16TB and they said using drobo share you can plug another drobo and get 32TB of HDD space. How is this possible if the drobo only has 4 bays and currently the largest HDD is 1TB so that should be 4TB in total and not 16TB or 32TB?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone here used the Drobo?0