Lost access to USB Hard Drive in Babylon Beta
I recently updated to XBMC Babylon (Beta) and I seem to have lost access to my external HDD plugged into the USB port. Or more specifically, lost access to it in file mode. I also can no longer add source folders from that HDD.

In filemanager, typically you can see the /dev and /mnt directories. The /mnt tree is typically where the external HDD is. I no longer even see the /dev and /mnt options in file manager. Which, as a side note, is kind of amusing because in the Babylon alpha I had like 4 /dev and 2 /mnt and couldn't remove the multiple extras.

I can play anything that's already in my library when I'm in library mode. When I go to file mode (any type...music, movies, tv shows, videos) all I get as a list are the plugins I have in (NBC, CBS, PBS) and the 'add source' option. I go into that but again, I no longer have a n option to add any folders from the external HDD. I have since deleted the entire database figuring that a fresh start might need, but now it doesn't pick anything up to repopulate the database.

Apple TV OS 2.3.0
Launcher 3.0
XBMC Babylon (beta1)
Installed via Launcher 3.0

Here's the most recent console log. http://pastebin.com/mfea9279
Most recent crash reporter log. http://pastebin.com/m25b68c19

I tried to pastebin the XBMC log but I keep getting a fatal error. Is there another way to send it?
If there's no /dev/ entry, the kernel didn't recognize it so there's not much we can do.
So what you're saying is XBMC Babylon will no longer let me access the external HDD?

Am I then to assume I should just go back to Atlantis and stay there?
Actually I misread the first time, thinking you were using linux. I'm not 100 how osx handles the /dev directory. If it's anything like linux, the kernel hasn't seen the device so there's no way XBMC will be able to do anything with it in userspace.
althekiller Wrote:Actually I misread the first time, thinking you were using linux. I'm not 100 how osx handles the /dev directory. If it's anything like linux, the kernel hasn't seen the device so there's no way XBMC will be able to do anything with it in userspace.

That's what's confusing to me. While it didn't 'see' it to add more sources from it, it still allowed me to play anything that was already in the library database and through library view.

*edit* So that must mean that in some sense it is still seeing it.
Probably going to need that xbmc debug log. Maybe try a different paste site or try to generate the log again in a much shorter session (ie start xbmc, generate log, close xbmc).
yea i second the bug, nitotv sees the usb drive fine, but its not listing the /Volumes/ stuff in XBMC.

I added a new source manually in XML for my usb drive, and it works fine. good for a temporary fix.

Code:
<source>
   <name>USB Drive</name>
   <path pathversion="1">/Volumes/USB DRIVE/</path>
</source>
XBMC log

http://pastebin.com/m57c5afe0
criti Wrote:yea i second the bug, nitotv sees the usb drive fine, but its not listing the /Volumes/ stuff in XBMC.

I added a new source manually in XML for my usb drive, and it works fine. good for a temporary fix.

Code:
<source>
   <name>USB Drive</name>
   <path pathversion="1">/Volumes/USB DRIVE/</path>
</source>

Where exactly would I add that? What xml file?
Don't worry about it. Users have no business adding sources manually anymore. If it's not working from the GUI, you need to complain until we fix it. Smile

EDIT: That load of failed accesses to win32 looking paths is surely wrong. I've tickled davilla. I'm sure he'll comment when he has a chance.
*complaincomplaincomplain* Big Grin
ShakeyBobWillis Wrote:Where exactly would I add that? What xml file?

its in the userdata folder of your XBMC install (sources.xml). but like althekiller said, i wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. i've been doing it since the xbmp days so its just a bad habit. i was just doing it to prove xbmc is still recognizing the usb port and it was just a problem with the source list.
humm, thanks for the heads up AlTheKiller.

Two things:

You log show lots of :

Quote:14:18:26 T:2684407808 M: 18309120 WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: C:\
14:18:26 T:2684407808 M: 18223104 WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: E:\
14:18:26 T:2684407808 M: 18223104 WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: F:\

like to track this down as I've never seen it before. If you could ssh in and "tail -f" xbmc.log then take notice what you are doing when this starts spewing.

http://xbmc.org/changeset/19244 is responsible for the removal of /dev and /mnt from showing in the GUI.

I'll look into adding /mnt back, can't remember which of my AppleTV has USB enabled Smile
I'd also like to see the output of "mount" when the USB drive is attached.

"mount" is parsed and the results used to show mounted volumes so something is getting excluded when the USB drive is attached.
if root or mnt could just be accessible through add source, that'd be good enough for me. it autodetecting stuff and automatically creating sources is overkill.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lost access to USB Hard Drive in Babylon Beta0