Sloooooow DVD ISO over wired network
Is there a reason why DVD ISOs seem to take 5-10 seconds to open across a wired 100mb network under Linux XBMC when they open almost instantaneously on the same network, attaching to the share SMB share, on XBMC for XBOX?

I can "open" the ISO... the remote goes unresponsive (but seems to be buffering keypresses)... 5-10 seconds later the machine comes back to it's senses and opens the ISO and tries to execute any buffered commands received from the remote.
See this thread for details:

Sticky: [LINUX] HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner

If I had to speculate, i'd say it's related to SMB authentication.
I was mostly interested in anecdotal replies Wink

I'll give the authentication a look over...
Authentication doesn't seem to be the issue... everything else (including multigigabyte mkv files) plays instantly across the network.

So is this a problem localized to my rig, or is this something that is a know issue that other users are having?
No others including myself have been seeing this...

read this...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54609

and this...

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?p=393388

short answer we dont know why and number of users are seeing this on platforms like linux, OS/X. defintely not on xbox and not on windows either.....

problem exists in plex on OS/X too....

tried 3 different file servers on 3 different OS's... same result....

I dont see anything interesting in the log but I dont know what I am looking for... I need to FTP a small ISO over I have onto the local disk and see what thats says....

the funny thing is that if it was SMB auth issue it should effect AVI, ts, etc....

this is only an issue with ISO's not even with video_ts folders of the same iso from my testing....

Sean
I have found that opeing iso's over wired network takes a while when the server is a windows box. Windows actually uses cifs while a linux server uses smb. I have testing this. opeing iso from linux box from windows server = delay. opeing iso from linux from linux server = instant. I could be wrong....but i blame it on microsoft Smile
wisenuts Wrote:I have found that opeing iso's over wired network takes a while when the server is a windows box. Windows actually uses cifs while a linux server uses smb. I have testing this. opeing iso from linux box from windows server = delay. opeing iso from linux from linux server = instant. I could be wrong....but i blame it on microsoft Smile

Don't get me wrong, I want to blame this on Microsoft too. Wink
2 of 3 fileservers I can reproduce this problem on are linux based (Thecus N5200 and Unraid). The other is windows XP...

and BTW for clarification.

SMB=CIFS its just the name of a protocol that IBM and MS invented circa 1982. It used to be commonly called netbios or netbeui which were both also not really correct.

Samba is an implimentation of this for unix.

Sean
I've got 680 DVD's stored on an SMB share as ISOs. I can tell you that if the menu system in the ISO is complex, it will take as much as 30-40 seconds for playback to start.
Thats why when I ripped my DVD collection to the share, I ripped only the movie, AC3 track, and english subtitles. Everything else was removed.
There were only a few DVDs I couldn't do this to, like concert DVDs. And, those can take a while to get started.
But, once the menu is gone, the movie playback starts just as fast as an XVID or MKV

Oh, and my storage system is RAID5 running on FreeBSD with no authentication.. So, I really don't think MS is to blame in this case, unfortunately.
Again, I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't just me.
OK... an important breakthrough...

It seems that the issue only happens the 1st time you watch an ISO. Subsequent viewings of the same ISO INSTANTLY loads the main menu and lets you quickly proceed to watching the disc.

So... does XBMC build a "cache" of sorts for DVDs you watch to speed future viewings?
Yes, I already reported this aspect of the behavior. guess you missed that part....

and yes XBMC does build a cache....

Sean
It seems there hadn't been a trac ticket created for this issue therefore it's highly likely the devs aren't aware of it. The forums are a good place to discuss issues and get feedback from other users, but for reporting bugs it's not the best place.

I've created a trac ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7155

Please post any comments that you might have regarding this issue and any relevant log files that might be of help. Please forgive me if I left anything out in the Ticket Description. Feel free to add more if something is not present.

You can use your forum login on trac: http://trac.xbmc.org
@Maxim

Some debug logs would be helpful. If you're sure of a difference in subsequent plays, please attach 2 logs to the ticket, 1 where it's played for the first time (slowly) then another where you do the exact same thing and it's played more quickly.

Thanks
TheUni
will do logs later today. very confident of the behavior. seen on 09.04.1 with 3 different OS's but most noticeable on OSX.

Sean

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sloooooow DVD ISO over wired network0