Fastest possible bootup for XBMC?
i have a version 1.1 xbox which i will be installing a DuoX2 mod chip into so that i can run this in my people mover.

What tricks are ther to get XBMC to boot up really fast?
Currently it takes about 10-12 seconds from power up to music play which is too long in car.

anyone disabled the flubber animation and xbmc start up screens that all take up time?
i dont' know if it is possible on a DuoX (but i guess it is possible):

there are bios-tools around, which modify your bios to boot directly into xbmc.

this would be the fastest way.
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Pretty sure even if you turn it off it will still take about 10 seconds to boot.... the flubber just mask the BIOS establishing itself - a bit like using a splash screen when your PC turns on and finds all its CPU, Memory and drives.....

I doubt you'll get anything quicker..... Bomb Bloke is probably your best bet to ask....
Back in the day, I heard tell that you could skip the flubber sequence, but only if you had a modchip. However, I've never seen mention of how it was done, so I'm guessing that was just misinformation about hiding the flubber (which is easy to do even without a modchip, but doesn't lower the boot time at all).

As for XBMC itself, you can add another ten seconds to the boot time if you don't have a network cable hooked up.

Frankly though, I don't think a half-minute wait really matters that much. If you're not gonna be in the car that long then you should probably be walking... Wink
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
you could use a smaller harddisk.
when i remember correctly: everything above 160 took lot more time to boot.
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Doubtfull - larger disks are generally faster and have more cache..... an ATA 100/133 cable and compatable drive would squeeze a few seconds out of it maybe... or you could even try SSD with a SATA --> ATA convertor but it would probably be an expensive move.
Geeba Wrote:Doubtfull - larger disks are generally faster and have more cache..... an ATA 100/133 cable and compatable drive would squeeze a few seconds out of it maybe... or you could even try SSD with a SATA --> ATA convertor but it would probably be an expensive move.

LOL, the controller is limited to ATA33 by the dvdrom, ATA66 otherwise IIRC.

The ONLY limiting factor here is your bios. The latest xecuter x2 4xxx was the fastest I ever used (YEARS ago) the x2 5xxx and x3 bioses were always much slower do to reading shit from the disk. No other team's bios ever came close to xecuter's.
im running a soft modded 1.6 at the moment with a 250gig drive and ive bought another 1.1 to put in the car minus the DVD drive so i decide to buy a couple of Duo X2's to hard mod both my xbox's.
The 1.6 didnt take any longer to boot with the 250gig than the stock 10 gig drive

Its a real pain getting in the car and waiting so long for it to boot up especially when you really need to be stopped to navigate the menus to get the music to start playing.
I just wondered if there were any tips to get it faster,i know it won't be instant but if i can shave a few seconds off that would be great.
althekiller Wrote:LOL, the controller is limited to ATA33 by the dvdrom, ATA66 otherwise IIRC.

The ONLY limiting factor here is your bios. The latest xecuter x2 4xxx was the fastest I ever used (YEARS ago) the x2 5xxx and x3 bioses were always much slower do to reading shit from the disk. No other team's bios ever came close to xecuter's.

LOL! - Well I could list hundreds of test from sites that would say different... boot times, writting to disk and loading games - but you can always rely on Al to pooh pooh everything Xbox Big Grin..... I also find softmodded xboxes boot faster than hardmodded ones.
Have fun with your stopwatch, shaky cam and placebos.
supasparky Wrote:im running a soft modded 1.6 at the moment with a 250gig drive and ive bought another 1.1 to put in the car minus the DVD drive so i decide to buy a couple of Duo X2's to hard mod both my xbox's.
The 1.6 didnt take any longer to boot with the 250gig than the stock 10 gig drive

Its a real pain getting in the car and waiting so long for it to boot up especially when you really need to be stopped to navigate the menus to get the music to start playing.
I just wondered if there were any tips to get it faster,i know it won't be instant but if i can shave a few seconds off that would be great.

I just saved one huge playlist and have XBMC autostart that playlist set to random (or you can do a party mode) on startup (either using the skin or a script) and go straight to the visualization screen. That way you don't have to do anything w/ the controller.
Bomb Bloke Wrote:As for XBMC itself, you can add another ten seconds to the boot time if you don't have a network cable hooked up.

I noticed this when I installed a XBox running XBMC at a friend of mine without net access.
It took about 5 secs longer to start up. When I attached my laptop to it XBMC started up really fast.

I tried to set it to a static IP, since I thought it was waiting for an DHCP answer or something like that. But that did't help. Sad

Is there anything I can configure to get rid of that?

Thanks
Bernd
No.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
I've never tried it but I suppose that if you plug a physical loop in your Ethernet connector it would simulate the presence of the network cable.
Quote:Is there anything I can configure to get rid of that?
Bomb Bloke Wrote:No.

Can somebody tell me why there is a delay when there is no network connected? Any source file/function to look at or some text to grep?

Thanks

Bernd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fastest possible bootup for XBMC?0