• 12(current)
Wake-up from standby makes movie playback stutter
I just recently got a new htpc machine (A6-3500) which runs xbmc fabulously in Windows 7, and I'm having the same stuttering problem as I was on my Revo. I thought that a different processor/architecture wouldn't be affected in the same way, but it looks like I was wrong.

I'm surprised that such a widespread issue isn't being looked at closely. Unfortunately the Windows builds are still more stable than Linux on this platform.

How can we bring this to the attention of a Windows dev(s), or a bit more exposure to hopefully have this problem resolved in the future? It's obviously affecting a lot of people on different types of hardware.

This is the ONLY issue I'm experiencing on Windows atm.
I am having the same stuttering issue on Win 7 32 bit, generally after sitting idle over night, and restarting XBMC always fixes the problem.
(2012-04-18, 03:19)Orac Wrote:
(2012-04-16, 23:21)travisbell Wrote: I don't believe there is any issues on Linux. This is a Windows only thing.

I got sick of this issue and wiped my Windows box and threw Ubuntu on it. Haven't had a problem since.

When I get time (which is likely next to never, unfortunately) I believe I'll be doing the same.
There's simply too many issues (stutter on resume, losing focus, lack of airplay) now facing XBMC on the Windows platform persist with it and trying to "workaround" these things has become ...

Well, I've jumped ship. I tried a few more configuration changes first, I reinstalled the OS once (and left it vanilla with all updates disabled), installed it again (updated everything that moved!), reinstalled XBMC, installed Dharma builds, installed pre-release builds, installed Eden final, tweaked everything, cleared and rebuilt libraries again - all problems persisted. I came to the inescapable conclusion that Windows is a crappy platform for XBMC Smile I've thrown OpenELEC on the same hardware (thereby removing the OS dependency) and the HTPC now behaves exactly how I always wanted it to.

Sorry I'm not otherwise contributing to this thread, and I wish those persisting with Windows as a base best of luck. I don't blame XBMC devs - they've done a brilliant job, but Windows has evolved to be simply unsuitable (or more plainly: broken).
The solution of shut down and restart Xbmc, works for me on Win7 x64, but some times, the part of restarting xbmc not works. When I come from sleep, some times is the desktop alone and sometimes xmbc starts again... some one with the same issue ??. When the desktop is shown, I only have to initiate xbmc, but... if it has been programed with task scheduler... could it have to work, isnt it?
I use method explained by Meridius on post 140
I have the same problem, stuttering playback after standby/sleep

Also, I've found when XBMC resumes, I've no sound in the interface for a little bit. Scroll around in menus for a bit, and sound comes back.

This occurs even if Windows didn't sleep; just having XBMC dim the screen will often cause it.

You can fix the stuttering by skipping forward, then back (or just skipping to anywhere at all, really, I just use the right then left arrow keys to get it into sync again. It's manageable, but extremely annoying.

Could shutdown and restart, but that seems rather clumsy, I'm hoping to find a better solution. Restarting xbmc doesn't take a long time, but it's not instant either - I don't want to have to wait every time unnecessarily.

Edit: Yeah, I didn't have this problem when running Linux either, but I ran into a lot of other annoying issues there (largely relating to wife ease of use) so back to windows we went.
Count me in for the epidemic.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit (all updates intalled to date). Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus.

Dell Studio Hybrid 140g. 2GB RAM, Broadcome 97xxxxx Cyrstal HD video mini-PCIe card installed

Dell Windows 7 Media Home Remote

XBMC V.10

Aint got a solution for it till now, so sometimes i restart XBMC sometimes i skip forward/backward .
I've got the same issue, W7 32bit, Nivida GPU.

I've also got an issue where the uPnP server is not visible when I resume from sleep until I restart XBMC.
try this new XBMC Launcher, its a exellent program for windows users and gives you many options to fix this problem untill these features are added to xbmc to fix this problem

geres the link

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=launcher

hope it helps
(2012-06-03, 16:55)ICUSandman Wrote: I am having the same stuttering issue on Win 7 32 bit, generally after sitting idle over night, and restarting XBMC always fixes the problem.

Same issue here! Sad

Will this ever be fixed?
For the time being use XBMCLauncher
Ugh. This happens to me even if my HTPC doesn't sleep, so the launcher scripts are useless to me.

Fastforward 30 seconds, then rewind 30 seconds (yay arrow keys) corrects the issue, but it happens randomly on about 80% of the media I play. It's maddening.
Hi all

I am still having this problem and I have tried a few things. I have tried the restart xbmc and reload scripts and do work somtimes but not all the time.

Surely a xbmc dev can look into this. Please.

Has anyone tried xbmc 12 nightlys ?
Can't believe this issue is still ongoing from over a year and a half ago at least!!! See my addition to the trac ticket here http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10628.

Has anyone tried any of the latest xbmc night lies (although without anyone actively looking into it I don't see how it would resolve itself). Alternatively has anyone tried Windows 8? If it is an OS incompatibility as I believe it is then this might be the answer. Have been running a script triggered by my Harmony remote for the last 18 months which works OK but would like it working properly (no restarting the program when I want to watch something) and am even considering dropping back to XP to resolve it.
(2012-08-23, 20:54)Cyberkid2002 Wrote: Can't believe this issue is still ongoing from over a year and a half ago at least!!! See my addition to the trac ticket here http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10628.

Has anyone tried any of the latest xbmc night lies (although without anyone actively looking into it I don't see how it would resolve itself). Alternatively has anyone tried Windows 8? If it is an OS incompatibility as I believe it is then this might be the answer. Have been running a script triggered by my Harmony remote for the last 18 months which works OK but would like it working properly (no restarting the program when I want to watch something) and am even considering dropping back to XP to resolve it.

It happens on Win8 as well, my HTPC is running that because I'm cheap; i got tired of fighting with Linux and moved back to Windows for easier setup.

I disabled sleep entirely, and *still* have that problem. A lot of videos are all choppy when they start, but simply skipping forwards 30 seconds then back 30 seconds fixes it. It's inconsistent though - a given video may or may not do it, seems entirely unrelated to specific files or formats.
Hi all

I have had this problem for a long time but a simple xbmc exit and restart fixes it, but as you all know sometimes it does not work.

I have been doing some tests and have found out what is causing this on windows 7.

It has something to do with the tv and xbmc because I can create the problem every time and this is how I do it.

1. Htpc in standby and tv off. Turn the htpc on which then shuts down xbmc and reloads it then turn the tv on and go to that input = jerky video. Have to restart xbmc to fix it

2. Htpc in standby and tv selected to a different input to the htpc eg normal tv or other input. Turn the htpc on xbmc will exit and reload as I have a script for that then wait a couple of min then go to the htpc input on the tv = jerky video playback. have to restart xbmc to fix it

3. Htpc on all the time no sleep mode, plays ok but after changing to a different input on the tv and back again after awhile = jerky playback. Restart xbmc to fix it

Now to stop the video from playing jerky I have to

1. This is the inportnat part, Make sure tv is on and the htpc hdmi input selected and then turn on the htpc = no problems at all

2. I did the same above but left the tv on for 12 hours and on the htpc input leaving the htpc on all the ime with no sleep option on using a screen saver and not turning the tv over to another input or channel = no problems at all

So I think the problem with xbmc on windows 7 is that if the htpc is turned on or left running and not on the htpc hdmi input it can cause this bug that plays the video back jerky but by exiting xbmc and restarting it fixes it. So is this a xbmc or windows 7 problem ? Maybe it some sort of bug in xbmc when you turn to a different input on the tv might cause some sort of calibration problem on xbmc codecs or something.

Can anyone try what I did and see how you get on.

This seems to be a tv input switching problem for xbmc on windows 7 to cause jerky video as I just don't get this problem if I go to that input first.

I hope a dev reads this and tries to see if it's a fault with xbmc and hopefully can be fixed as its been going on for a couple of years.

Cheers
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake-up from standby makes movie playback stutter5