No video signal, system freeze after idle
Recreate Steps
1. Boot into windows
2. Start XBMC
3. Do nothing
4. Dim screen screensaver appears (dim on 1 minute)
5. Wait another 30 sec
6. Screen goes black, followed by TV message "No video signal detected"
7. Computer is still on, will not repond to MCE remote or usb keyboard. No audio and cannot remote into computer. (seems its completely frozen)

Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/x4iUf0HS

Windows Event Viewer shows no events.

Running:
XBMC 9.11.0.0 Camelot - Current Stable Release
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

Dell 580s
Intel iCore 3 2.92 Ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 310

Things I have tried to isolate issue:
Leave windows 7 idle without XBMC running, no problems.
Disable XBMC Screensaver, will still cut video and freeze.
Disabled Hibernate, Sleep, Windows screensaver, any other power options I can find.

Long time user and reader of the forum. Always found a solution to my issues without having to make a post, so please be kind if I forgot to include information.
Is it always ~30seconds after DIM kicks in, regardless of the length of time you have the DIM screensaver set to?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It is independent of screen saver setting. I tried turning the XBMC screen saver off and it had no effect on the problem. 1-2 minutes after XBMC start, it will stop video signal (over HDMI on NVIDIA G310).

NEW UPDATE: Have tried both Confluence and Project Mayhem HD, has no effect. If video playback is started, XBMC functions properly. If I linger for more than a minute in the the Main menu, XBMC will stop video signal and freeze machine. This happens also if I return to the menu after successfully playing a video. Per my debug log, the last thing XBMC executes is finishing reading the RSS for the main menu ticker. I disabled the rss for the main menu and problem still persists. Have uninstalled XBMC and reinstalled to the same 9.11 Camelot build, with no effect.
andrewcon40 Wrote:It is independent of screen saver setting. I tried turning the XBMC screen saver off and it had no effect on the problem. 1-2 minutes after XBMC start, it will stop video signal (over HDMI on NVIDIA G310).

NEW UPDATE: Have tried both Confluence and Project Mayhem HD, has no effect. If video playback is started, XBMC functions properly. If I linger for more than a minute in the the Main menu, XBMC will stop video signal and freeze machine. This happens also if I return to the menu after successfully playing a video. Per my debug log, the last thing XBMC executes is finishing reading the RSS for the main menu ticker. I disabled the rss for the main menu and problem still persists. Have uninstalled XBMC and reinstalled to the same 9.11 Camelot build, with no effect.

You don't have your computer set to sleep or something goofy in the power settings, do you? (Just a thought off the top of my head)
Another thread w/ different scenario, same result:

This person gets the same "Blank Freeze" in the middle of video playback:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71970
All standby, hibernate, hybrid-sleep (whatever that is) power manipulation settings are set to disable. If I don't launch XBMC, it will sit there forever showing the desktop.

Also, when my desktop enters stand by or hibernate the light turns from white to orange. When I have this "Blank Freeze" the indicator light stays white (on) and even though I have debugging turned on (which normally causes my HD indicator to blink constantly) the HD shows no activity. Also remember, if the machines enters this frozen state, it can no longer be remoted into. All of this suggests that the box is frozen.
I have tried both a recent nightly build and XBMC 9.04 and have had the same issue. Which suggests its not a XBMC bug but an issue on how my machine handles XBMC. Will be re-installing a clean copy of Windows 7 tonight and will report back.
Fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit Premium and XBMC 9.11 Camelot. Same problem persists. Have recreated thread 71970 exact issue as well. System will stop sending video and audio after a few minutes of playback and entire machine is frozen, still in on state, won't resume must do hard restart.

Don't know what to do, hoping somebody out there has some insight.
My previous logs were empty (in terms of errors) but it looks like I got the error to report prior to crash.

16:02:54 T:2224 M:2308677632 ERROR: Error, trying to add a second window with id 1113 to the window manager
16:02:54 T:2224 M:2308677632 ERROR: Error, trying to add a second window with id 1111 to the window manager
16:02:54 T:2224 M:2308677632 ERROR: Error, trying to add a second window with id 1113 to the window manager
16:02:54 T:2224 M:2308677632 ERROR: Error, trying to add a second window with id 1111 to the window manager

Would very much appreciate some help with this. I bought my first HTPC an haven't gotten to use it for more than a few minutes without it crashing.
Question 
Hi andrewcon40,

what happens if you start up xbmc and then Alt-Tab back to the desktop (thereby removing the focus from xbmc), ensure the focus is on the desktop (or other application) and then head back to xbmc?

I have found this same symptom you describe on my machine with the above process and thought that possibly you are running another process which is stealing focus?

I'm trying to determine what's going on here too, and I can also replicate simply by changing TV/AV modes on my TV. If I do this (and I agree, there is a lag of about a minute) and then flick back to AV mode, it's complete lock-up and a hard reboot is required....

I'll turn on debugging mode tonight and see what logs are generated...

I'm running Nightly r28256 ...
paterg Wrote:Hi andrewcon40,

what happens if you start up xbmc and then Alt-Tab back to the desktop (thereby removing the focus from xbmc), ensure the focus is on the desktop (or other application) and then head back to xbmc?

I have found this same symptom you describe on my machine with the above process and thought that possibly you are running another process which is stealing focus?

I'm trying to determine what's going on here too, and I can also replicate simply by changing TV/AV modes on my TV. If I do this (and I agree, there is a lag of about a minute) and then flick back to AV mode, it's complete lock-up and a hard reboot is required....

I'll turn on debugging mode tonight and see what logs are generated...

I'm running Nightly r28256 ...

Changing focus away from XBMC usually prevented losing the video signal. After a month or so I have found the root of the problem.

My graphics card (Nvidia G310) is over heating and not sending any errors back to windows. So the video cuts out and widows chugs along as if nothing was wrong.

I have somewhat fixed this issue by removing the spare PCI slot metal protectors to let the area breath better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No video signal, system freeze after idle1