[Dharma] auto frequency switch in menus?
Hi,

i find it really anoying that when you select "auto frequency switch" in the Playback-settings, the frequency switches back everytime you switch from a video back to a menu.

The point is: my TV needs some seconds to perform fequency switching, and I really don't care what the frequency is in menus, it's only important to me in videos. So why not leave the current frequency untouched when the user enters the menu, and only switch the frequency when really necessary? Is it possible to implement that?
Have you actually tried using XBMC running at 24fps?
Hitcher Wrote:Have you actually tried using XBMC running at 24fps?

I don't care for 24Hz so much, I have a lot of videos with 50Hz and 60Hz, and I hate it when I always have to wait some seconds when I only want to look something up in the menu. I think 24Hz should work as well in the GUI, maybe not that smooth....
It's horrible believe me.
But it's usable at 50Hz. And for 24p playback, maybe 48Hz would be an alternative?
It's pretty bad. Is there a way/hack to always switch to 24hz by default when playing movies, as 98% of my collection is 23/24 fps? That way my display doesn't switch while the video is playing?
Set XBMC to run at 24fps.
Hitcher Wrote:Set XBMC to run at 24fps.

Obviously a method besides that, I like smooth 60hz XBMC menus.
Back to the original topic, why is it not possible to avoid any unnecessary frequency switchings at all?
Jackie78 Wrote:Back to the original topic, why is it not possible to avoid any unnecessary frequency switchings at all?
I'm sure most users find switching back to the standard 60hz for a smooth xbmc operation as necessary. On my old, obsolete system, it only takes 1-2 seconds to switch refresh rates.
RandomXBMCUser Wrote:I'm sure most users find switching back to the standard 60hz for a smooth xbmc operation as necessary. On my old, obsolete system, it only takes 1-2 seconds to switch refresh rates.

On my system, there is no difference in smoothness between 50Hz and 60Hz, which is 99% of my material (TV series), so the additional switching makes a great difference. Especially since many big LCD or Plasma TVs need more than 2 seconds for switching.

At the moment, the switching occurs even if the video is still running in the background, as soon as you enter any menu!
Edit: Got it working:

It seems when i close XBMC, My Plasma will switch to 50hz, and when i load XBMC it will switch to 24hz....
I would like it to default to 50hz for Menus, so is this user configurable somewhere or has it been hardcoded?
Jackie78 - I'm sorry but I'm a total loss about what your wanting to achieve here.

Bear with me - you want XBMC to display menus etc at for example 50Hz, then change the refresh rate when a movie that isn't natively 50Hz is played eg 24Hz. If so then that is exactly what the current dynamic refresh rate change mechanism does. Set your desktop to 50Hz, choose adjust refresh to match video (System/Video/Playback/Adjust refresh rate to match video).

I don't think it is possible to have static refresh rates with individual items. Either way the system would have to carry out some form of refresh rate transfer and you would still have the delayed switching.

Freakish Wrote:Edit: Got it working:

It seems when i close XBMC, My Plasma will switch to 50hz, and when i load XBMC it will switch to 24hz....
I would like it to default to 50hz for Menus, so is this user configurable somewhere or has it been hardcoded?
- very strange, your plasma will only display what it receives - I think - therefore are you talking about when you load a video file xbmc switches to 24hz, if so and you have the adjust refresh rate feature activiated, then that is the expected behaviour. Anything other than that you should post a debug log - at which point the devs will consider looking at your issue - basically they tend to ignore most issues, unless a debug log is posted. See here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
steelman1991 Wrote:Jackie78 - I'm sorry but I'm a total loss about what your wanting to achieve here.

Bear with me - you want XBMC to display menus etc at for example 50Hz, then change the refresh rate when a movie that isn't natively 50Hz is played eg 24Hz. If so then that is exactly what the current dynamic refresh rate change mechanism does. Set your desktop to 50Hz, choose adjust refresh to match video (System/Video/Playback/Adjust refresh rate to match video).

I don't think it is possible to have static refresh rates with individual items. Either way the system would have to carry out some form of refresh rate transfer and you would still have the delayed switching.

I don't think you understand me right: all I want is that XBMC keeps the current refresh rate as long as possible. For example. my desktop (and so the XBMC menus) is set to 60Hz. Now I play a movie at 50Hz. Rereshrate switches, that's okay. Now I stop that movie, XBMC goes back to the menu, Refreshrate switches to 60Hz again. Why? This switch is unnecessary, XBMC should keep the last refresh rate, until I play a file that requires another switch.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. My Sony Bravia 52' LCD takes no more than a couple seconds to switch resolutions / refresh rates. Hopefully you can find a workaround though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Dharma] auto frequency switch in menus?0