Audio Dropouts - Anyone Having them...Or HAD them?
I'm getting random audio dropouts (Linux Live installed to SSD - Dharma 10 Final (LIVE)). My system is connected via optical out for sound, HDMI for video.

The sound drops out for about a 1sec or less, then continues. This is happening in the video side of things.

Where do I look for a rectification of this problem? Is there a way to capture a clean debug log for this issue - without it being full of non-essential stuff)??

I did read a post about the mic channel turned up to full in alsamixer. It needed turning down.?? Any comments appreciated. Thx
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
I'd like to bump this thread. I updated the original post to reflect the LIVE version I'm using ( I just installed it) and I'm still getting brief audio dropouts. Very annoying.

Can someone help please. What should I be looking for?
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
+1 for this as well...Running XBMC Live 10.0 on a Shuttle XS35 w/ a SSD installed as well. This only happens when I resume from sleep/standby but if I reboot or power on all works fine....no audio dropouts only from sleep/standby.

Wondering if it is a NIC issue. I am going to try to disable/enable the ethernet interface after a resume from sleep/standby and see if that addresses the problem.
Last night I was watching something using my cordless headphones. I didn't experience any audio dropouts that I can recall. And...thinking about, I can't actually remember hearing any using the headphones in the past. Anyone with any suggestions why this would be so?

EDIT: I was mistaken. Watching something last night with headphones and I had numerous dropouts.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655

we don't need a "clean" debug log, just post a full debug log from a session where you experience your dropouts. audio settings might also be interesting, as well as to check if the optical cable really is connected properly.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655

we don't need a "clean" debug log, just post a full debug log from a session where you experience your dropouts. audio settings might also be interesting, as well as to check if the optical cable really is connected properly.

I'll try and capture it in a debug log.
I'm using Windows 7 but having the same issue.
I was hoping the upgrade to a new LIVE version and xbmc would rectify the issue. NO such luck. Seems that the intermittent loss of the network connection after resuming from suspend also came along for the ride! Damn!! Confused
If I drop to console and do a /etc/init.d/networking restart I do not have an issue.

Anyone know where/how to add that to the wake/power-on script...In other words restart the network from resume/sleep.

Thanks
I can confirm having this issue. I have audio drop out about every 10 sec for less than a second, only after resuming from suspend (S3). After rebooting audio works fine. Actually, this has nothing to do with XBMC as the same behavior occurs when playing files in VLC. I am running Xubuntu 10.10 on Zotac IONITX-L-E, using the HDMI HD audio device (disabled other devices in BIOS).

Tried restarting networking to no avail.
+1 for me

Massive Audio Dropouts on HD and SD Movies. Actually testing some MP3. More Info to come.
I narrowed the problem definition - the drop-outs after resume occur only when playing a stream with sample rate other than 48KHz. I tried 44.1KHz WAV. In this case, the drop-outs consistently occur both on the raw HW device (hw:0,3) and on device with SW conversions (plughw:0,3).
Upgrades of PulseAudio and ALSA (through Ubuntu's PPA to 1.0.24) didn't help.

However, at this point I become convinced that this forum is not the right place to discuss this issue, as it is by no means specific to XBMC. I just use aplay for testing now.
[Removed]
After finding that the problem is related to the sample rate conversion, the things started to click in.
So, apparently, the ION internal sound device (outputting to HDMI) doesn't properly support rates other than 48KHz. The audio may work ok after reboot, but starts choking/skipping/dropping/hiccuping after suspend/resume.
Actually, I have seen in a couple of places claims that HDMI audio only supports 48000Hz.
So, if the HW can't properly convert the sample rate - let's put it on ALSA.
This .asounrc file has fixed it. Sources:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...controller
http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html (This one has very insightful comments regarding period_time settings!)
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hd...audio.html.

The .asoundrc should be put in the appropriate user's home directory (if XBMC runs as 'xbmc' user, put it in ~xbmc/).
If you want the changes to be available to all users, save this file as a system-wide configuration /etc/asound.conf. For more info look at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc

After that, I needed to change in the XBMC "Settings > System > Audio > Audio output device" to "custom" and enter "plug:dmixer" in the "Custom audio device" (note - without "plug" the playback uses incorrect sample rate).
(Changing the audio output device to ALSA makes this work in the VLC too).
gmozilla Wrote:+1 for me

Massive Audio Dropouts on HD and SD Movies. Actually testing some MP3. More Info to come.

Fixed ... and you all my laugh at me Big Grin

I messed up my self made SPDIF Cennector ... had to switch the cables et voila Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Dropouts - Anyone Having them...Or HAD them?0