How Addon management is working?
Question 
Hi guys,

I am currently working on a plugin for xbmc4xbox in order to be able to run xbmc addons on XBox (This part mostly works), but I have discovered the step done during the install of the addons are very important.

For instance I know xbmc is checking the dependency during the install reading at the file addon.xml, here an example of dependency:
Code:
<requires>
    <import addon="xbmc.python" version="1.0"/>
    <import addon="script.module.beautifulsoup" version="3.0.8"/>
    <import addon="script.module.cryptopy" version="1.2.5"/>
    <import addon="script.module.common.playback" version="0.0.1"/>
  </requires>

Could you tell me how do you retrieve the script.module?
Are you looking at all the possible repository registered with XBMC, or are you looking for it just on the official repository?

I have to reproduce this mechanism since obviously letting the user copy the directory of an addons at the right place won't guarantee a valid install.

Another question right now, xbmc support repository with zip file or directory, are there other user cases?

Also if you could forward me on the C++ file doing the install and download, as well any design documentation that could be useful.

One last question (sorry for asking this one), I have seen addon with addon.py and other with default.py (as plugins and scripts), which one is supposed to be the right one? Both?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

Temhil Wrote:Hi guys,

I am currently working on a plugin for xbmc4xbox in order to be able to run xbmc addons on XBox (This part mostly works), but I have discovered the step done during the install of the addons are very important.

For instance I know xbmc is checking the dependency during the install reading at the file addon.xml, here an example of dependency:
Code:
<requires>
    <import addon="xbmc.python" version="1.0"/>
    <import addon="script.module.beautifulsoup" version="3.0.8"/>
    <import addon="script.module.cryptopy" version="1.2.5"/>
    <import addon="script.module.common.playback" version="0.0.1"/>
  </requires>

Could you tell me how do you retrieve the script.module?
Are you looking at all the possible repository registered with XBMC, or are you looking for it just on the official repository?

I have to reproduce this mechanism since obviously letting the user copy the directory of an addons at the right place won't guarantee a valid install.

I am only talking about the xbmc, not xbmc4xbox, not sure how that works.

we get it from here, via official repo.

Temhil Wrote:Another question right now, xbmc support repository with zip file or directory, are there other user cases?

no, thats it I think, someone correct me if I am wrong

Temhil Wrote:Also if you could forward me on the C++ file doing the install and download, as well any design documentation that could be useful.

not me, maybe someone else could comment, wiki has some info that you might find usefull

Temhil Wrote:One last question (sorry for asking this one), I have seen addon with addon.py and other with default.py (as plugins and scripts), which one is supposed to be the right one? Both?

Thank you in advance for your help.

you specify the name of the library in addon.xml

Code:
<extension point="xbmc.python.script"
             library="default.py" />
Thank you Amet for your quick answer. You already gave me a lot of useful informations here.

Amet Wrote:I am only talking about the xbmc, not xbmc4xbox, not sure how that works.

we get it from here, via official repo.
Don't worry about xbmc4xbox. I am just working on a plugin that will allow xbmc addons to run on XBOX without change on those one. That the only link with xbmc4xbox.

Just to make sure I understand, when XBMC finds the <requires> tag in addon.xml, it will look only in the official repo?
Correct?

So what is happening if someone creates a new script.module and make it available only on an unofficial repository?
If I understood you correctly any addons installation requiring this script.module will fail since this script.module is not available on the official repository? Am I right?

Amet Wrote:you specify the name of the library in addon.xml

Code:
<extension point="xbmc.python.script"
             library="default.py" />
OK, that makes sense, the addon.xml allow to know what is the name of the script to start.

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

Temhil Wrote:Just to make sure I understand, when XBMC finds the <requires> tag in addon.xml, it will look only in the official repo?
Correct?

So what is happening if someone creates a new script.module and make it available only on an unofficial repository?
If I understood you correctly any addons installation requiring this script.module will fail since this script.module is not available on the official repository? Am I right?

I _think_ that it will look on any repo you have installed. as long as it finds it all should be good.

easy to test, have only non official repo in your installation(or no repo at all) and try installing something that requires script.module, see if it installs Smile
it looks in all registered repos.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How Addon management is working?0