• 3(current)
My HTPC-build
eskro Wrote:wait a sec,,,,

i never said all will fit!

However i dont see problems,,,,,

3 things u need to check...

#1, apex case is recommanded to buy an 120mm silen fan with it...
because CPU cooler will sit right under the PSU and a FAN will prevent
over heating.,,, ask bluray, he can even show u pic of where to put the fan,,,,

#2, dont buy that 80mm fan since your not buying the Polly case,,,

#3. we need to make sure that the FanLess cooling on the GPU card will fit in the case,,,
im trying to find pictures of the card but so far,
none i see can confirm me how wide it is,,,,

Oops, I did ask you about that gpu in that case in your "My Very First HTPC, But Where do I Start?" thread.

Anyway, Its my own fault if it doesnt fit, I should have doublechecked before i ordered itRolleyes Its to easy to just click "buy" lol
like i said, i dont see problems,,,,,

should be good to go but u need that extra silent 120mm fan,,,

see here for an image of SilenX fan
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=815...stcount=20

hope u didnt buy that 80mm one,,,

even the APEX MI-100 would have been good
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APEX-MI100-BLACK...35a245d5a4
115.00 USD = 624.109 NOK
joeranjensen Wrote:The first time I saw that case, I didnt like it very much. But now when Ive seen it a couple of times I think its ok, not beautiful but ok. And its cheap. What do you think of that case now after you have used it for some time?

I love it, yes its kinda bulky and the led indicators are too bright but its roomy yet compact and it is WELL ventilated. But since its DIY, be specific to whats important to you but if you want room enough not to worry about your hardware decisions and excessive heat then the case might be it.
eskro Wrote:like i said, i dont see problems,,,,,

should be good to go but u need that extra silent 120mm fan,,,

see here for an image of SilenX fan
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=815...stcount=20

hope u didnt buy that 80mm one,,,

even the APEX MI-100 would have been good
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APEX-MI100-BLACK...35a245d5a4
115.00 USD = 624.109 NOK

No, I havent bought anything but the case yet. Added this 120mm fan instead of that 80mm.
nice FAN congrats Smile
eskro Wrote:nice FAN congrats Smile

ThanksSmile Everything else is allso ordered now, only the worst thing left to do....Waiting...
joeranjensen Wrote:ThanksSmile Everything else is allso ordered now, only the worst thing left to do....Waiting...
it is too bad that you are not in western united states. amazon is a great place to shop for electronics, and it take only 1 to 2 days to receive the order from them.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:it is too bad that you are not in western united states. amazon is a great place to shop for electronics, and it take only 1 to 2 days to receive the order from them.

I know, i hope i Get everything within a month.
keep us updated!
eskro Wrote:keep us updated!

Offcourse I willSmile
Finally all my parts has arrived, and Ive assembled every components. Anyway, i ran into some uncool issues. First of all the cooler on the graphics card is to high and i cant mount the cover. Second MAJOR issue: after everything was connected i tried to start it up... Bang and the appartments lights blacked out. After further troubleshooting i think ( and hope) it was the psu who died. I have no idea what caused it, but the psu was set to 115v and i changed this to 230v which is correct for norway. Im allso pretty sure everything was correct wired to the motherboard.

Any thoughts? How can I be sure what is broken and what caused it?
You blew out the lights with the PSU? Wondering if maybe you're exceeding the capacity of the breaker/fuse on that circuit. Not sure what the deal is in Norway, maybe try another outlet.

It doesn't sound good though. You may have blown the PSU too, not your fault it seems, but it maybe bad.
Kirky99 Wrote:You blew out the lights with the PSU? Wondering if maybe you're exceeding the capacity of the breaker/fuse on that circuit. Not sure what the deal is in Norway, maybe try another outlet.

It doesn't sound good though. You may have blown the PSU too, not your fault it seems, but it maybe bad.

It was definitely something bad, i could hear a loud electric spark kind of noiceNo
breaker/fuse issue,,,

what happens if u try another outlet??
eskro Wrote:breaker/fuse issue,,,

what happens if u try another outlet??

Nothing, the machine is dead now and if i plug in my Old htpc in the same outlet, it powers up as normal.

I followed this guide to troubleshoot the psu:

Quote:If psu still has no power, remove all connectors to devices and test psu by itself. Atx powersupply has to be loaded to work. Such test may best be performed with load or a tester. If a tester is unavailable to you, you can simply use a paperclip to jump "green wire" (PS-ON) and any adjacent "black wire" (COM) from 20/24 pin main connector. If the fan spins, psu is very likely to be in good working condition. This test however, does not adress the issue of compatibility with motherboard as well as other issues that might cause a computer not to function properly. It only helps when you try to isolate a hardware problem.

The psu did not respond, totally dead. I think that I should order another case with a new psu ( a case my gpu will fit into). Maybe the ace polly case??

One thing to note is that the psu came with a powercable that didnt fit in norwegian outlets and it was set to 115v. I replaced the powercable with a Norwegian type cable and switched the psu to 230v which is normal in Norway. This is what I should have done, isnt it?

Edit: just to be sure, do you have to plug the 4-pin ATX12V-kontakt to the motherboard or should it be unplugged? (My was plugged in)
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My HTPC-build0