My NES HTPC
Figured Id share this here. Quite proud of it, although i wish the cpu was a bit stronger. Built it back in the spring, total newegg order was like $202+$50 for the pico-psu and $10 for a busted NES. Price has come down on motherboard/memory, but gone up on the hard drive. Was pretty easy to put together, only took a few hours to dremel out the NES and figure out where to put the stuff. Eventually ill probably retire it as an HTPC and finish the converstion by wiring in USB to NES controller ports and turn it into strictly a retro gaming console emulator.

The hardware

Mobo - Asrock E350M1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157228

Memory - 2gb ddr3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231395

HD - 160gb WD A/V grade
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822136558

Remote - Rosewill MCE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002

60w PicoPSU
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-120-power-kit

And the money shots

components

motherboard mounting

All components in place, hard drive mounted below the motherboard

Fully Assembled

Very cool....thanks for sharing !!
This build seems to becoming more of a trend...2nd one of these I've seen!!
oh yea, there's nothing original about it. Tons of them out there online. First one I ever saw was one that Yoshi on the old techtv show The Screensavers built probably 7 years ago. Just a lot easier now days with the availability of mini-itx mobo/cpu combos like the Atom and E350.
GREAT! I love it!
i know you're trying to save a few bucks, but why make it hard for yourself. consider that mini-itx case is very cheap these days, i would prefer the easier route with this- EMC-600S Super-slim Mini ITX Aluminum HTPC/NAS/Server PC Case with 12V DC Power Supply.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:i know you're trying to save a few bucks, but why make it hard for yourself. consider that mini-itx case is very cheap these days, i would prefer the easier route with this- EMC-600S Super-slim Mini ITX Aluminum HTPC/NAS/Server PC Case with 12V DC Power Supply.

I believe you missed the point. Using an NES case was the goal, not a cost saving measure...
bluray Wrote:but why?

excuse me...it's one ugly box. i threw it out the window a long time ago, and it is replaced with xbox and ps3.

Ok, that's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it, but I have fond memories of the NES/SNES and this is my way to continue having one in my house. It has a place right next to my PS3.
mrwhite Wrote:Ok, that's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it, but I have fond memories of the NES/SNES and this is my way to continue having one in my house. It has a place right next to my PS3.
perfect...but i just gave you the other side of the story. i'm a diy person too, and i built everything from speaker cables to htpc and so on, but i thought cutting out an old box to rescue it might not be time well spent.

but i'm glad to see another diy person though!
Smile 
Hey bluray,

"ugly" is by definition a relative term. Meaning that what's ugly to you may be poetry for me.

For instance, I'd kill to own a DeLorean DMC-12 with time-travelling panel and all, but my 7-year-old son would probably be ashamed to say "that's my dad" if I went to pick him up at school with it!!

See my point?
Peace!
jackh Wrote:Hey bluray,

"ugly" is by definition a relative term. Meaning that what's ugly to you may be poetry for me.
perfect...and i don't disagree this assessment at all. i thought it might shed the light on others with my point of view about the box.

jackh Wrote:For instance, I'd kill to own a DeLorean DMC-12 with time-travelling panel and all, but my 7-year-old son would probably be ashamed to say "that's my dad" if I went to pick him up at school with it!!

regarding the DeLorean DMC-12, i bought and sold one of those. i enjoy it for a while before i sold it.
mrwhite Wrote:Ok, that's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it, but I have fond memories of the NES/SNES and this is my way to continue having one in my house. It has a place right next to my PS3.

i like it Smile
this guy have a complete write up on it- Nintendo HTPC
Damn You MrWhite! I'm in the process of building mine right now! I'm actually painting the case, kind of bring it a little up to date with my entertainment set up but still keeping the retro aspect of the NES.

I chose the NES case route simply as a conversation piece... Nostalgia if you will.
show it off once done EndiSky Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My NES HTPC0