Build or Buy
I'm planning to build a mini or micro Intel i3-2130 HTPC this coming holiday. I'm trying to shop around for the cheapest component and Windows 7. Just the CPU, case, mobo, RAM and Windows 7 are over $500 on Newegg....and I haven't include hard drive, wireless keyboard/mouse, MCE remote, shipping cost, etc....

and then I come across this- Lenovo H520s - 25615AU....it's $449 with everything included......the Small Form Factor case will easily fit in my entertainment center....

I'm always enjoying DIY, but the price for DIY is killing me......Sad

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Blu....

Sorry so late to respond.. Look, you have a verified ability to point out the necessary!

1.) the coolest and greenest
2.) the cheapest and best bang for buck
3.) lastly and most importantly, the ability to bitstreaming HD audio (how can you have a HTPC without thisHuh??)

IMHO... no company can build a system that will meet your exact specs and expectations except YOU, so spend that exxtra cheddar and impress us!

.....I'm on the subscribe list, so don't let me down!
I just yesterday bought this desktop unit on clearance at Best Buys for $260 for an HDTV in the house, what do you think of this unit for this price?

Gateway SX2850-UB10P, Best Buy website

Gateway SX2850-UB10P, Gateway website

Warranty Terms - Parts..................................................................1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labor..................................................................1 year limited
Product Height..............................................................................10.4"
Product Width................................................................................3.9"
Product Depth................................................................................12.4"
Intel® Processor.............................................................................Intel® Core™ i3 - 540
Processor Speed............................................................................3.06GHz
Cache Memory...............................................................................4MB
System Memory (RAM)...................................................................4GB DDR3 Expandable To 8GB
Type of Memory (RAM)....................................................................DDR3
Hard Drive Size...............................................................................500GB
Graphics.........................................................................................Intel® HD
Audio.............................................................................................High-Definition Audio with 5.1-channel surround sound support
Speakers........................................................................................None
Network Card..................................................................................Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking........................................................................None
Recordable DVD Drive.....................................................................Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Recordable DVD Drive Speeds.........................................................8x DVD+R DL; 8x DVD-R DL; 16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x6x16 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 48x32x40 CD-RW
Digital Media Reader or Slots...........................................................Yes, digital media card reader
Available Expansion Slots................................................................1 PCI Express x1, 1 PCI Express x16
USB 2.0 Ports................................................................................11 (5 front, 6 rear)
Operating System...........................................................................Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Software Included............................................................................Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player; CyberLink Power DVD and more
HDMI Output...................................................................................Yes

This is apples to oranges, imo.
(2012-09-02, 04:21)g725s Wrote: I just yesterday bought this desktop unit on clearance at Best Buys for $260 for an HDTV in the house, what do you think of this unit for this price?

Gateway SX2850-UB10P
$260 for an i3 with 3ghz, I say that is an excellent price.....it is time to do this: HTPC-->AVR==>HDTV via 2 HDMI cables.....and enjoy the blu-ray in 1080P video and bistreaming HD audio too.....

(2012-09-02, 03:24)CpTHOOK Wrote: Blu....

Sorry so late to respond.. Look, you have a verified ability to point out the necessary!

1.) the coolest and greenest
Since I'm planning to build HTPC using standard PSU, CPU cooler, etc, there shouldn't be any different....

(2012-09-02, 03:24)CpTHOOK Wrote: 2.) the cheapest and best bang for buck
If these are my objective, it would be the Lenovo route. After I added 1TB 7200RPM hard drive and wireless keyboard/mouse, it pushed Newegg totall to $640 for a complete Intel i3-2130 build. It cost more than Lenovo H520s - 47461DU with AMD Radeon HD 7570 2GB (for gaming).

(2012-09-02, 03:24)CpTHOOK Wrote: 3.) lastly and most importantly, the ability to bitstreaming HD audio (how can you have a HTPC without thisHuh??)
I shouldn't have any problem bitstreaming with Lenovo, because Lenovo included Intel HD3000/HD4000, AMD HD7570 and NVIDIA GT620 graphic cards in their Essential H520s lineup......

With that said, I'm still shopping around for DIY components....I hope that I can land the refurbished Intel i3-2130 and other components to keep the overall price down.........w/ 5 kids, every penny count......Blush

That mini-itx case is overpriced. I can think of better Smile
(2012-09-02, 17:00)Dougie Fresh Wrote: That mini-itx case is overpriced. I can think of better Smile
$130 for a Lian Li with a nice 300W PSU in it is not over price....I like the shape and look of it.....

Another case I like is this "HTPC-ITX7-Black. Mini HTPC aluminum chassis", which is $147 after added PSU.....

I wish that Microcenter is close by......Sad

Yeah, I guess the PC-q09 with 150w psu was underpriced at $69.99 with free shipping from Newegg. Smile

BTW, check the shipping on that ITX7. It's over $20 to me and I am 70mi away.

Sounds like you've got it covered. Enjoy.
(2012-09-03, 04:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yeah, I guess the PC-q09 with 150w psu was underpriced at $69.99 with free shipping from Newegg. Smile
What is for $69? Link pls....

(2012-09-03, 05:00)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-03, 04:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yeah, I guess the PC-q09 with 150w psu was underpriced at $69.99 with free shipping from Newegg. Smile
I'm still shopping for parts, and I'm still waiting for the link fo the $69 PCQ09 w/ 150W PSU.......

(2012-09-04, 22:20)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-03, 05:00)bluray Wrote:
I'm still shopping for parts, and I'm still waiting for the link fo the $69 PCQ09 w/ 150W PSU.......

He's not going to link it for you.
I don't think the link will be useful nowadays but here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112294

http://bensbargains.net/history/lian-li-...psu-34646/
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/243542

Never buy a Lian-Li at full price. They will always go on-sale eventually on Newegg.com.

(2012-09-04, 22:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I don't think the link will be useful nowadays but here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112294

http://bensbargains.net/history/lian-li-...psu-34646/
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/243542

Never buy a Lian-Li at full price. They will always go on-sale eventually on Newegg.com.
It doesn't do any good to link the expired links, and those links are over a year old......Sad

If you see any good deal now, please post it in here.....

20% off with promo code EMCNANC36 and free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112359
$149.99 - 20% = $119.99. Ends 9/13.

Or wait for Black Friday with fingers crossed. That's how I got my previous gen PC-Q09 for $69.99.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build or Buy0