Win Shuttle XS35GS V3L 1080p playback issues
Hi all.

Im new to xbmc and HTPCs in general but i just went all out and got myself a nice little setup here.

The Problem:
My problem is that any 1080p movie (usually MKV) will not play perfectly. While the picture and the sounds is perfectly synced everything seems just a little bit stuttery and sloggish. Especially when the camera pans arround a scene.

The Setup:
I have all my entertainment stored on a Synology DS413j Nas server which is connected to my Linksys (Cisco) E4200 Router with 1000MB connection.

I also bought a Shuttle XS35GS V3L minipc with the following specs
- I also installed 4gbs of kingston value ram and a kingston SSDNOW with 60gbs of storage.

The machine itself runs Windows 7 Ultimate and is fully updated as of this post.

I have installed XBMC Frodo, CCCP codec pack and CoreAVC codec. That is all the software apart from the windows install.

Possible solutions?:
The Shuttle HTPC is connected to the network through wireless N. I dont think this should cause any problems with the streaming from the NAS but i have ordered a cable to make it 1000MB connection.

I am quite convinced that the issue is not with the network connection. I really hope some of you HTPC pros can point me in the right direction or have some experience with this kind of problem?

According to other posts on this forum and Shuttle company itself the machine should be able to play 1080p movies without any problems.

Thanks for your time
AronChan
Easy test, can you play the same mkv files over the network using WMP or whatever without juddering?

Also, can the same file play locally from the Shuttle without juddering?

I have a shuttle XPC (similar setup) and have similar issues. I'm in the process of doing some maintenance on my NAS. I've just copied all my movie files locally. Now, XBMC playsback mkv files without juddering. I am using 10/100 Cat 5
I will put that to the test tonight. I tried playing the same MKV with mediaplayer classic through the network and it didnt improve the experience one bit.
Yes I did similar tests using WMP and Media Player Classic Home Cinema and got similar results. The odd thing is using XBMC on my old desktop (Dell Optiplex running OpenElec), Using the same Switch and NAS, I didn't have the issues. I assumed it was a graphics card issue. I hadn't played anything locally until I read this post, which lead to me testing locally and realising it's playing fine.
(2013-02-03, 17:24)AronChan Wrote: I am quite convinced that the issue is not with the network connection. I really hope some of you HTPC pros can point me in the right direction or have some experience with this kind of problem?
Well, the only way to find out is playing the same file from the local drive or USB drive.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Today i tested playing the files locally and i still had issues with stuttering and also sound desync.

:/
(2013-02-04, 16:33)AronChan Wrote: Today i tested playing the files locally and i still had issues with stuttering and also sound desync.

It might be XBMC video playback and audio output are setup incorrect. You can check out my thread for some tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......
(2013-02-04, 18:02)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-04, 16:33)AronChan Wrote: Today i tested playing the files locally and i still had issues with stuttering and also sound desync.

It might be XBMC video playback and audio output are setup incorrect. You can check out my thread for some tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......

I tried applying these settings but it just made the stuttering much much worse. Perhaps my video card (ATI Radeon HD 7410m) isnt doing any hardware rendering?
Did you just test with XBMC? What about WMP, HC or VLC?
I tested local playback from XBMC and MPC and WMP
Do you have an onboard GFX you could switch to to test?
(2013-02-04, 19:54)AronChan Wrote:

I tried applying these settings but it just made the stuttering much much worse. Perhaps my video card (ATI Radeon HD 7410m) isnt doing any hardware rendering?
Could be your audio settings.

As a test try setting:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound device

If you wish to do further investigation on your audio settings then check out the sticky http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911
(2013-02-04, 19:54)AronChan Wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how you connected your HTPC to HDTV. The audio output have to be precisely selected in Windows control panel and XBMC audio output for it to work properly......

Try these-
1. Make sure that AMD driver is updated from here- AMD Driver Autodetect
2. Enable "Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2)" and select "Auto detect" as Render method in XBMC system/settings/video/playback
3. Select the correct AMD audio output in Windows control panel
4. Select the correct AMD audio output in XBMC audio output, which are listed in my link- Simplify XBMC configurations......
________________________________________________________________________________​______________________________
I tried applying the suggestions from the two threads above.

Analog didnt make any difference.

I noticed that i didnt set up the Audio settings correctly according to your post. After applying these settings the stuttering was lowered to the same ammount as when using analog 2.0.

The problem persists though. :/

one odd thing i noticed though was when i applied the AMD driver autodetect it thought my gfx card was a Radeon HD 6xxxm when it is in fact a Radeon HD 7410m.
(2013-02-04, 22:39)suroot Wrote: Do you have an onboard GFX you could switch to to test?

I dont think so. It has a dedicated radeon card to take care of gfx
After continous search in the forums i found a small comment to another Shuttle thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1212176

I recently bought one of these units and I was also having the choppy video playback issue. After a lot of messing around with settings I finally found the setting that seems to clear it up (at least for me). Under Settings -> System -> Video output I disabled the option for "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen". Once I turned that off I got perfectly smooth and natural video.

this solved all the stuttering issues.

Thank you all for your help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS35GS V3L 1080p playback issues0