• 1(current)
[AppleTV2]FAQ
Official XBMC for iOS FAQ
Jailbreak FAQ

Hardware Related
Q: You say XBMC can do 1080p but it only display's 720p! You liar!
A: XBMC can decode 1080p video's but atm the ATV2 is limited to display 720p output only. Its still a question if this is hardware limited or software limited. Currently this has no priority.

Q: Can I use a BT Keyboard with XBMC?
A: Yes you can! look here

Q: My volume control isn't working, not even with a custom remote!
A: Digital output (as all outputs are with the new ATV2) do not carry db information. So the receiving device (receiver, TV, Soundbar...) is the device to amplify the signal with the right volume.

Software Related
Q: How do i install XBMC on my ATV2?
Follow this excellent YouTube tutorial.

Q: How do i setup XBMC? How does thing network thing work?
This Youtube tutorial tell's you how to setup sharing with a Mac

Q: Official build or unofficial build?
A: Official builds are build by the XBMC team, unofficial builds are (almost) daily builds with the latest fixes/features for that day. But these builds aren't tested so could contain more bugs.

Q: SSH say whut?
A: SSH is a secure shell to access your and install software on your ATV2. For browsing the filesystem on OSX, Windows or Linux you can use Filezilla. For commandline you can use putty on Windows, or terminal on OSX or Linux.

Q: How can i reset the AppleTV2 without having to re-jailbreak again?
SSH into your AppleTV
Login with user: root and password alpine (if you didn't change it)
type: killall AppleTV (it's case sensitive!)
or for windows users use this script by danmedhurst

Q: Can I enable DTS and AC3 on my ATV2?
A: Yes you can! look here if you have an official build. It's already enabled in the unofficial builds.

Q: Ok I have enabled it, but I still don't have any sound!?
A: Kaiserlein came up with a solution for some of us. It's not the xbmc software on your atv, but it has to do with your receiver. Click for Denon receiver or Sony receiver

Q: How can I connect to a network/share drive?
A: Kaiserlein has a made a great explanation for it here

Q: What's the general timeframe for the XBMC for iOS code being merged into the main trunk?
A: Developer: Davilla says : The plan is a) another official release gets pushed out, then b) we sync very close to Dharma and push out another for 'stable' and then c) the big sync into trunk. a) will be soon, b) depends on what we find after the sync and c) is sometime after that.

Problems
Q: Is XBMC on ATV2 the same as on Windows/OSX/Linux?
A: No, this is just a first release and some things are still broken. But around 80% of all the features are working.

Q: My time is wrong in XBMC, and I cannot change it!
A: There is a fix for that: look here

Q: Some of my MKV's are crashing! HELP!
A: Does it have embedded subtitles? Try to disable them and retry if the mkv works.

Q: Some of my AC3 files stutter or have static noise!
A: AC3 Audio can stutter and pause video. Generating Thumbnails is the culprit, go into Settings > Video > File and deselect 'generate thumbnails'. Fix is in mainline, not atv2 branch yet. Also some are experiencing static with this enabled, regardless of Generate Thumbs selected or not.

Q: My wifi is not working after the GreenPois0n RC6 untether jailbreak!
A: SSH into your ATV2 over ethernet
Quote:apt-get update
apt-get remove com.nito.nitotv
apt-get install com.nito.nitotv
killall AppleTV

Q: Settings are not saved, Updates don't work, Clone Settings from any XBMC to ATV2
A: Fix the permissions of the data folder by doing the following in ssh:
Code:
chown -R mobile: /User/Library/Preferences/XBMC/

Q: I get no video output/black screen after the GreenPois0n RC6 untether jailbreak! (should not occur with latest GP-RC6)
A: Restore your ATV2 again, and rejailbreak and retry.

Q: My question/problem isn't listed here!
A: First use the search if you can't find an answer then make a new post.
Please describe the problem as much as possible, and also what you have tried to fix the problem. And please include a xbmc.log and a syslog
Good FAQ and thanks for quoting me ;-) (with the vol. "issue")

But I think you could add the following:

You might take the timezoneproblem (there are a lot of people not living in the US) into this thing.

Then there is a lot misunderstanding with the releases. (hence iOS 4.2.1 equals ATV iOS 4.1.1 and so on...)

Lastly throughout the forums I realized that the people are having trouble connecting to a smb-drive.

I think I summed it up here pretty good:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=712...stcount=15
Kaiserlein Wrote:Good FAQ and thanks for quoting me ;-) (with the vol. "issue")

But I think you could add the following:

You might take the timezoneproblem (there are a lot of people not living in the US) into this thing.

Then there is a lot misunderstanding with the releases. (hence iOS 4.2.1 equals ATV iOS 4.1.1 and so on...)

Lastly throughout the forums I realized that the people are having trouble connecting to a smb-drive.

I think I summed it up here pretty good:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=712...stcount=15

Yeah Smile thanx for the suggestions!
Might be worth adding a question / answer on how to reset the device if / when XBMC hangs without the need to re-tether boot.

Can either be done with the following SSH command : killall AppleTV (It is case sensitive!)

Or use the script i put together for windows users : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92992
danmedhurst Wrote:Might be worth adding a question / answer on how to reset the device if / when XBMC hangs without the need to re-tether boot.

Can either be done with the following SSH command : killall AppleTV (It is case sensitive!)

Or use the script i put together for windows users : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92992

Added!
Cool.. but you spelt my name wrong lol Shocked
I think I like his version of your name better ;-)
danmedhurst Wrote:Cool.. but you spelt my name wrong lol Shocked

fixed Smile Tongue sorry about that Wink
It might be useful to add information about the XBMC commands available through the IR remote control. I could not find the ATV2 specific information in the wiki.
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
Kaiserlein Wrote:I think I like his version of your name better ;-)

I think i might too Big Grin
Oh, and PLEASE put somewhere, that USB devices like Sticks or Harddrives will NOT work on the ATV2 because it is a "DeviceUSB" and not a "HostUSB" hence can not function as a host (firecore - the guys with atvflash say they are working on it, but most of the people still doubt that they can make this happen)

This gets asked like every day...

And you probably want to start indexing the FAQ like so:

I : jailbreak questions...
I.1 blabla
I.2. pliplaplo

II : Hardware questions
II.1: usb...
II.2: ...

BEFORE his thing is starting to get real huge and you'll never do it... Big Grin
And if it's still possible, try to change the title to something like: READ BEFORE POSTING first... (because people WILL get upset if someone asks the same question for the 37891238476563728th time...)
Add this to the thread about official releases:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=709...tcount=192
Senaxx Wrote:Since so many people ask the same questions it might be time for a FAQ

Q: You say XBMC can do 1080p but it only display's 720p! You liar!
A: XBMC can encode 1080p video's but atm the ATV2 is limited to display 720p output only. Its still a question if this is hardware limited or software limited. Currently this has no priority.

Shouldn't it say "XBMC can decode 1080P" instead of encode?

Not trying to be an a$$, just don't want to confuse the people even more on this subject.
nugentgl Wrote:Shouldn't it say "XBMC can decode 1080P" instead of encode?

You are right, i made a mistake there
Hey senaxx,
I think I might be on to something with fixing the AC3 / DTS problem for the people where nothing works (not even turnig the metadata fetching off in preferences)

It worked for me and one of my friends and also one guy in the forum:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=712...stcount=90

maybe you could put this in the FAQs with a list for the most used receivers.. (in my post I already gave the settings for the DENON receivers and here it is for SONY:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=714...stcount=92

thanks.

(And by the way: This thing is starting to look really professional...)
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2]FAQ1