• Setting up the Arcade
  • Setting up emulators
  • Automating HTPC login & XBMC Startup
  • HD Playback with DXVA/CUDA
  • Installation/Configuration of MPC-HC
  • Configuring Shared Folders
  • Configuring XBMC MySQL Database
  • Configuring Shared Thumbnails

I'm no expert, I just hate doing things once and forgetting what I did the next time around so I try to document everything.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated. The Microsoft Word template is available at request for changes and additions.

I hope someone finds this useful. Smile

Complete Idiots Guide to XBMC for Windows v1.1 (4MB)

Cheers
Great work. Thanks
*respect*

wanted to do the same
(same reason)

but just didn't get to it..

damn you lazyness..

Really, well done..
Thanks for the positive feedback!

We're already up to 50 pages now and there's so much I haven't covered. I'm kind of hoping to recruit some volunteers to add sections to the book (things I have never done) to create a commercial grade 'Idiots' guide.

Let me know if you're interested Smile
since the guides are not capable of natively playback bd iso/m2ts/bd-rom index.bdmv in full 1080p video with dts-hd/truehd audio, it's not going to meet my minimum spec.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:since the guides are not capable of natively playback bd iso/m2ts/bd-rom index.bdmv in full 1080p video with dts-hd/truehd audio, it's not going to meet my minimum spec.

^^ Um.. I have no idea what you're saying here. How can a guide playback anything? It's a PDF manuscript.

The DXVA section of the guide instructs users how to playback 1080p video (m2ts, mkv, h.264, etc) if that's what you mean. If you have some additions to add, please feel free to contribute. I'm not claiming to be an expert; I'm just trying to simplify the process of creating new XBMC converts.
AssChin79 Wrote:The DXVA section of the guide instructs users how to playback 1080p video (m2ts, mkv, h.264, etc) if that's what you mean.
ofcourse, the guide is just a guide. here is what i meant- using your guide to configure htpc, it'll not allow natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mke/bd-rom index.bdmv in full 1080p with dts-hd/truehd.

if you're interesting in natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mke/bd-rom index.bdmv in full 1080p with dts-hd/truehd, you can check the guides in my signature!
bluray Wrote:here is what i meant- using your guide to configure htpc, it'll not allow natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mke/bd-rom index.bdmv in full 1080p with dts-hd/truehd.

if you're interesting in natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mke/bd-rom index.bdmv in full 1080p with dts-hd/truehd, you can check the guides in my signature!

Ah, ok I understand. Nah, I don't have a bluray drive so I'll never need that. But it would be great if you added it in there, for the benefit of everyone else.

Since I require DXVA/CUDA in order to run H.264 files on my HTPCs, I doubt my HTPCs could run a native Bluray disc even if I wanted to do that someday.

Thanks!
AssChin79 Wrote:Ah, ok I understand. Nah, I don't have a bluray drive so I'll never need that. But it would be great if you added it in there, for the benefit of everyone else
if you have ripped bd iso/m2ts/mkv files and straight bd ripped files, you do not need a bd-rom. dts-hd/truehd users are already benefits from this thread- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd.

AssChin79 Wrote:Since I require DXVA/CUDA in order to run H.264 files on my HTPCs, I doubt my HTPCs could run a native Bluray disc even if I wanted to do that someday.

Thanks!
what are your entire htpc hardware's, hdtv and avr? with the info, i can tell you if you're capable to natively playback bluray on bd-rom with dts-hd\truehd audio.
All my HTPCs are all Nettop IONs
http://www.system76.com/product_info.php...cts_id=120
AssChin79 Wrote:All my HTPCs are all Nettop IONs
http://www.system76.com/product_info.php...cts_id=120
with w7 64-bit, it might work fine. here is a very similiar nettop with w7 64-bit- Acer AspireRevo AR3700-U3002 Nettop Intel Atom D525(1.80GHz) 2GB DDR3 250GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA ION graphics Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Brilliant idea and a great start there Asschin.
I'm in the process of setting up my HTPC and this is the very start i needed.

Hope this project grows and becomes the Ultimate guide for XBMC on Windows.

Best.
Smile 
I just wanted to register my gratitude for your efforts in putting this guide together. I am a total newbie to the world of XBMC and this will prove invaluable.

Big Grin
vermanium Wrote:Hope this project grows and becomes the Ultimate guide for XBMC on Windows.

Best.

Just trying to help! Hopefully some volunteers will jump in and fill in any gaps. Right now I'm a one man show and so the guide caters to my exclusive needs. It would be great to have additional detail fleshed out for the areas that I have never dealt with (Blu-rays, etc)

Regards
@ AssChin79:

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I spotted something in the HTPC Remote Control section, and I quote:

Quote:The simplicity of the MCE remote comes with a few drawbacks. One of these limitations is the inability to map custom key strokes and macros to buttons. More advanced users will want these features.

The underlined part is not true :-), All RC6 MS certified IR remotes that use RC6 receivers are programmable and every single button can be remapped, but macros might not be achievable on the remote itself, although there are other ways more powerful than what any remote can do, unless you want to control different devices from one remote then thats a complete different matter. Anyways I just wanted to let you know! Otherwise nice work, I will continue reading through when I have enough time Smile

I hope you do not mind a little feedback Wink

Cheers,
EG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: The Complete Idiots Guide to XBMC For Windows v1.10