Hardware Q
I'm looking to build/buy a HTPC and am looking for opinions on the best way to go about it.

Ideally I want to be able to:

1) Play files/streams/youtube/netflix etc
2) Automatically download TV shows/music
3) Support Squeezebox server
4) Add a tv card to get digital tv (saorview/freeview)

And hopefully be able to use a cheap tablet as a controller.

Before I start looking into building a HTPC, am I better off getting a separate NAS or building an all-in-one unit?
bump!
(2012-10-12, 00:26)phantom_lord Wrote: I'm looking to build/buy a HTPC and am looking for opinions on the best way to go about it.

Ideally I want to be able to:

1) Play files/streams/youtube/netflix etc
2) Automatically download TV shows/music
3) Support Squeezebox server
4) Add a tv card to get digital tv (saorview/freeview)

And hopefully be able to use a cheap tablet as a controller.

Before I start looking into building a HTPC, am I better off getting a separate NAS or building an all-in-one unit?

I personaly don't like having media in the htpc, a htpc should be a player.
A nas will add to flexibility if you decide to add some more players in your home and will also add to data security.
Ok thanks for the reply. Would I have the likes of sickbeard on the NAS or the HTPC?
(2012-10-14, 15:00)phantom_lord Wrote: Ok thanks for the reply. Would I have the likes of sickbeard on the NAS or the HTPC?

That would depend on your network configuration really. NAS software that can run Perl can run SickBeard.

Personally, for me, since I'm on a budget, my main Win7 HTPC doubles as my NAS. It runs sickbeard/sab, xbmc, mysql, etc. As long as I leave it on, i can pull any media off of it from my other computers.

When I have the time, I'm going to build another cheap pc to use as my NAS to keep in a closet or something.

But whatever route you take, make sure that all the directories you use for your media are in network-form (if that makes any sense). In other words, instead of xbmc pointing to D:\phantom_lord\TV for your tv shows, point it to smb:\\phantom_lord\TV. This way, things (thumbnails, etc) will sync easier across your PC's. It will also make it easier to transfer your stuff to a NAS if you do decide to build one later on.
Take a look at my build (see link below) since it can do everything you described.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Q1