Home Theatre Equipment & Windows 8
I just recently reformatted and fired up my Intel NUC with 8.1. The NUC is setup to go through the receiver first and then to my TV.

My speaker setup is 7.1; with two of the speakers as front Height placement.

Windows 8 doesn't recognize this setup, and Its not sending a audio signal to these extra speakers when playing a 7.1 DTS-HD/TrueHD movie.

Curious if anyone else would have a similar setup or experienced the same problems and how to solve this problem and get the audio to the proper channels
Are you using the stock audio driver ?

Try installing audio driver for whoever supplies audio on the NUC, station drivers website usually has links to all the general audio drivers.
It is not the job of Windows to send audio to front heights channels. It is the receiver's job. Windows passes thru the HD audio signal to the receiver and the receiver decodes it.
You need to go into the settings of your receiver and tell the receiver that you have front heights speakers.

BTW, go to Intel's website and download the latest graphics drivers. Graphics drivers also handle the audio.
As z31fanatic correctly stated Windows does not decode height channels but neither does your receiver as height channels currently don't exist on dts nor dd. If your receiver supports height channels it gathers information from your currently playing sound and plays it to those speakers. In the near future Dolby atmos will add these channels to Dolby true HD although this will require a Dolby atmos certified receiver.
The N2820 NUC can't pass the HD audio formats because it lacks a Protected Audio Path. However, it's not clear if that's the model he has or not.
Worst case scenario you can get usb audio cards that handle HD audio..
I think running Windows is by definition the worst case scenario
(2014-09-23, 01:44)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Worst case scenario you can get usb audio cards that handle HD audio..
Uh... HD audio bitstreaming requires HDMI. I can't say I've seen a USB HDMI equipped sound card. What sort of USB solution have you seen?
There is no receiver or processor that can take an HD audio signal through USB.

(2014-09-23, 02:31)Matt Devo Wrote: I think running Windows is by definition the worst case scenario

Yeah, we should all run Android so we can only have legacy DD and DTS, or run Linux so we can go through a thousand steps to get HD audio.
(2014-09-23, 03:25)z31fanatic Wrote: Yeah, we should all run Android so we can only have legacy DD and DTS, or run Linux so we can go through a thousand steps to get HD audio.

Installing OpenELEC is easier and quicker than Windows, and HD audio works out of the box for the majority of supported hardware
(2014-09-23, 02:31)Matt Devo Wrote: I think running Windows is by definition the worst case scenario
O my god, windows is just working perfect for me.
Advice like this is as just oil on fire, the worst advice possible.
By example windows 8.1 is working very well with xbmc, don't make drama.
(2014-09-23, 03:34)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-23, 03:25)z31fanatic Wrote: Yeah, we should all run Android so we can only have legacy DD and DTS, or run Linux so we can go through a thousand steps to get HD audio.

Installing OpenELEC is easier and quicker than Windows, and HD audio works out of the box for the majority of supported hardware

I got this from the XBMC nuc wiki

"The 2820 Baytrail will not bitstream HD Audio under Windows OS. This is a driver limitation as they don't support the PAP [Protected Audio Path] But under Linux, Ubuntu, openELEC. They work fine!"

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC
(2014-09-23, 03:52)hstegeman Wrote:
O my god, windows is just working perfect for me.
Advice like this is as just oil on fire, the worst advice possible.
By example windows 8.1 is working very well with xbmc, don't make drama.

calm down, I made a cheeky comment about an OS, not a personal attack.

from a purely technical perspective however, my follow up comment stands. And I run Win7 on my desktop, am not a "linux guy'.
(2014-09-23, 02:39)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-09-23, 01:44)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Worst case scenario you can get usb audio cards that handle HD audio..
Uh... HD audio bitstreaming requires HDMI. I can't say I've seen a USB HDMI equipped sound card. What sort of USB solution have you seen?

(2014-09-23, 03:25)z31fanatic Wrote: There is no receiver or processor that can take an HD audio signal through USB.

Yeah, we should all run Android so we can only have legacy DD and DTS, or run Linux so we can go through a thousand steps to get HD audio.
With a dedicated audio card you don't need bitstreaming your pc will be able to decode on the fly, this will also enable you to playback HD audio from a non HD audio receiver.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=usb+hd+audio+adapter
As for your negative view of Windows: you're wrong it's really that simple
(2014-09-23, 03:25)z31fanatic Wrote: There is no receiver or processor that can take an HD audio signal through USB.

You really should engage your brain before posting!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home Theatre Equipment & Windows 80