XBMC is laggy, where is my problem
I find that XBMC is very laggy to respond. It's especially bad while watching HD tv through the pvr add-on running myth-tv. This was my first HTPC build and I had read I didn't need a very powerful system so I went with an AMD A6-6400K Accelerated Processor - 3.9 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, Dual Core, and Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1600MHz. I am assuming my problem is one or the other. I would think a dual core 3.9GHZ would be sufficient but maybe that is my issue. I just now went ahead and ordered another 4GB of ram but I am wondering if I will need to overclock or upgrade my processor. Is it possible some of the laggyness is due to no additional graphics card? Any comments would be helpful.
(2014-10-04, 19:13)xmjsilverx Wrote: I find that XBMC is very laggy to respond. It's especially bad while watching HD tv through the pvr add-on running myth-tv. This was my first HTPC build and I had read I didn't need a very powerful system so I went with an AMD A6-6400K Accelerated Processor - 3.9 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, Dual Core, and Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1600MHz. I am assuming my problem is one or the other. I would think a dual core 3.9GHZ would be sufficient but maybe that is my issue. I just now went ahead and ordered another 4GB of ram but I am wondering if I will need to overclock or upgrade my processor. Is it possible some of the laggyness is due to no additional graphics card? Any comments would be helpful.

Your system is complete and total overkill for XBMC

You're a windows guy I guess?
(2014-10-04, 20:09)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-10-04, 19:13)xmjsilverx Wrote: I find that XBMC is very laggy to respond. It's especially bad while watching HD tv through the pvr add-on running myth-tv. This was my first HTPC build and I had read I didn't need a very powerful system so I went with an AMD A6-6400K Accelerated Processor - 3.9 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, Dual Core, and Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1600MHz. I am assuming my problem is one or the other. I would think a dual core 3.9GHZ would be sufficient but maybe that is my issue. I just now went ahead and ordered another 4GB of ram but I am wondering if I will need to overclock or upgrade my processor. Is it possible some of the laggyness is due to no additional graphics card? Any comments would be helpful.

Your system is complete and total overkill for XBMC

You're a windows guy I guess?

Running xbmc + w7 on a kabini sempron 3850 right next to me at this moment so the OS is not the issue(at least not with that kind of hw)

The issue is probably hardware related to where the files you're playing back are stored.
I am a noob, that is my problem. That's why I am asking for help not useless responses. I am running Ubunutu 14. The files are stored on a 4TB HDD.
Define laggy please.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
WiFi streaming?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
For example when I hit X to stop live TV the image freezes for maybe 5 seconds before it returns to the EPG or the main screen. Or when I am just scrolling down through channel selections in the EPG or movie selections in an add-on sometimes it lags for 3-5 seconds before it moves down the list. There are times when it will literally lag out for 10 seconds while using the arrow keys then all of the sudden it will scroll through them. It almost seems to be worse if I haven't pressed a key in a while. I am not on Wifi, it is hardwired with approx 100Mb download speed. I don't think this should have anything to do with the issues I am having while watching live TV or using the EPG. I am not using any EPG service other than over the air info. I hope that helps.
Ok a debug log (wiki) showing the problem may help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-04, 23:43)xmjsilverx Wrote: I am a noob, that is my problem. That's why I am asking for help not useless responses. I am running Ubunutu 14. The files are stored on a 4TB HDD.

Rude responses to people trying to help you is not the best way to make friends. If you want good answers from the forum you've got to ask good and clear questions.
I was responding to fishoil not you raggsokk3n.
(2014-10-05, 16:24)xmjsilverx Wrote: I was responding to fishoil not you raggsokk3n.

It was a simple question. You did see the question mark right?

Oh well. Good luck!
I have a qnap ts 870 pro hio xbmc installed on qnap memory of the film are all there on the library xbmc disappear anyone knows some help
(2014-10-05, 18:11)pol80 Wrote: I have a qnap ts 870 pro hio xbmc installed on qnap memory of the film are all there on the library xbmc disappear anyone knows some help

Please start your own thread, your post seems to have nothing to do with this thread.

Also, please speak clearly in English, and perhaps consult this:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Sorry, I didnt get a log file yet but here is the system monitor when it gets laggy. This time it was doing it while using the EPG and watching live OTA TV. It seems crazy that both 3.9ghz processors would be bouncing off 100%. The only 2 things running were XBMC and system monitor. I looked at the processes but there were lots in there many of which I don't know what they are. So I guess either I have a bad processor, there is too much stuff running in the background or these processor specs are highly overrated. Note: I am using deinterlace if that matters, I know that uses more resources.

Unfortunately your lack of debug logging is preventing debugging. As you have been told, your hardware is more than sufficient so there is something else wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC is laggy, where is my problem0