My head is spinning with possibilities for HTPC...
Over the past few days I've read and read and read stuff about a HTPC. Unfortunately, the more I read to narrow down my options, the more I come away with more options!

OK, back to basics: what's the requirement?
  • Mainly stereo audio usage (90%) via SPDIF - I'll be adding 2 x SotM SATA filters one to each HDD (see below for what the HDD comment is all about).
  • About 10% video usage (No 3D requirement - I don't have or plan to have a 3D TV for a few years)
  • Support for Netflix (1080p), and the UK terrestrial streams (iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player, Sky etc etc)
  • Must be "silent" (or so quiet as to be inaudible in a lounge)
  • Here's the odd one: It's a occasional use NAS server as well. Basically, I store about 3/4 TB of non-audio/video "stuff" which I access occasionally. This stuff must be RAID 1 protected.
  • It must be mini ITX form factor.
  • HMDI, Optical Digital out (not via USB).
  • Controllable via a remote. (Android would be nice to control it - we don't have any Apple in the house at all.)

I've read the two main stickies on this forum and I see two things that stand out:
  1. I'm a "group 6" person I think
  2. NAS plus HTPC isn't recommended but if I must, the WD Green HDDs it is. So, WD greens it is then. Smile

Originally, I was looking at fanless mobos but then I got bogged down into AMD v Intel v Nvidia. Barebones boxes - none of which seem to support 2 x HDDs AFAICT, so I am looking to build my own. (I'm OK with that: I have been building PCs since WFW 3.11.)

I could say "so, here's what I am considering - any comments", but I'd end up listing every mini ITX-based system on the Internet! Confused

I know it appears lazy to ask, but could someone at least assist me in narrowing down the options please?

TIA

EDIT: Don't care about the OS. I'm comfortable with all of them.
Board: Asus P8-H61M; HDMI, SPDIF & USB3; only suitable for m-atx cases.
Cpu: i3-3225
Gpu: Intel HD 4000 or a dedicated gpu. If you choose a dedicated gpu, you could opt for a weaker cpu w/o iGpu.
Case: I'd not use a ITX-Case, if you want to use more than one hdd and better temps.
Storage: I'd strongly recommend a ssd as boot drive and several 2 TB drives depending on your needs.
Aftermarket Cooler: You should get one to reduce the noise and make it silent.

This should build a pretty decent HTPC.
There are some demands in your list that rules out each other. For example it will be hard the find a ITX case for two 3,5" harddisk you will need for your plans. And when it comes to silent a fanless HTPC is the best option of couse - especially with two loud rotating 3,5" harddisks.

So the best idea might be a NAS connected via network at a place where sound does not matter. The HTPC itself can be a Intel i3 ivy bridge build, since you do not need much GPU power. This one can be fanless and small - an eye catcher.

An example of such a build can be my HTPC here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139045
Welcome! mossywell, where are you located? That will help with hardware suggestions.
(2012-11-11, 17:41)MikeRD03 Wrote: There are some demands in your list that rules out each other. For example it will be hard the find a ITX case for two 3,5" harddisk you will need for your plans.
Thanks for the reply. I've found some looking around.

(2012-11-11, 17:41)MikeRD03 Wrote: And when it comes to silent a fanless HTPC is the best option of couse - especially with two loud rotating 3,5" harddisks.
Wouldn't 2.5 inch disks be OK?

(2012-11-11, 17:41)MikeRD03 Wrote: So the best idea might be a NAS connected via network at a place where sound does not matter.
No separate NAS.

(2012-11-11, 17:41)MikeRD03 Wrote: The HTPC itself can be a Intel i3 ivy bridge build, since you do not need much GPU power. This one can be fanless and small - an eye catcher.

An example of such a build can be my HTPC here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139045
Excellent - many thanks I'll take a look.
OK, done that "So aim was a balance of enough 3D power". But, given that 3D is not a requirement, isn't your system over-specified for "group 6" people?
EDIT: Just doing a costing on it now. Smile

(2012-11-11, 17:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Welcome! mossywell, where are you located? That will help with hardware suggestions.
Good day to you! London, UK (profile updated).

celeron cpu
ML03B case (mATX) - fits 2x3,5 drives + one 2,5
hdd Wd green - Silent
ssd Samsung 830
any 1155 matx motherboard that has the connection you need
Seasonic psu
a small nocura cpu cooler

should cover all your needs
Yea, you're right. An exact copy of my HTPC would be overkill for your needs - it should only give you an idea how a very small and sexy HTPC might look like. The right housing is the key here.

You need 3,5" drives, cause you said you need 3-4 TB space. The biggest 2,5" dive is 1TB now, so you have to go with the bigger drives. Here have an eye an low rotation spped (5200 rpm), green energy efficient and most important a functioning acoustic management. You will need proper HDD Utils to turn them on.

But two 3,5" drives would render a fanless HTPC useless, just my two cents.
(2012-11-11, 19:47)MikeRD03 Wrote: Yea, you're right. An exact copy of my HTPC would be overkill for your needs - it should only give you an idea how a very small and sexy HTPC might look like. The right housing is the key here.

You need 3,5" drives, cause you said you need 3-4 TB space. The biggest 2,5" dive is 1TB now, so you have to go with the bigger drives. Here have an eye an low rotation spped (5200 rpm), green energy efficient and most important a functioning acoustic management. You will need proper HDD Utils to turn them on.

But two 3,5" drives would render a fanless HTPC useless, just my two cents.
Oh man, my bad. Blush I meant 0.75 TB (three quarters). Ooops.
OK, we've had one vote each for an Intel and one for an AMD system. Kind of sums up the problem. Smile Anyway, I'm currently thinking along the lines of:

- ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE
- 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) of cheap memory
- 2 x 2 TB 2.5 inch drives RAID 1 (12W at full load for the pair)
- A pico PSU (not sure on the power, 90W maybe)
- Run XBMC off a Live USB stick - no need for an SSD (failing that due to linux reasons, I'll go for Windows 7)
- Not sure what to do about the remote but I do have a Logitech harmony - would be nice to use that

Hmm... much research needed still. :-\
(2012-11-11, 22:21)mossywell Wrote: - ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE
Since your are planning to stream Netflix (1080p), I'm recommending this combination instead- "Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G620 2.6GHz+GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3"....you'll have better experience with Netflix HD streaming...

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Synology 8 Bay x 3TB Smile
(2012-11-11, 23:27)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-11, 22:21)mossywell Wrote: - ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE
Since your are planning to stream Netflix (1080p), I'm recommending this combination instead- "Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G620 2.6GHz+GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3"....you'll have better experience with Netflix HD streaming...
Does that mean the Asus E45M-1 won't work? As in, I thought that if it works, it works. Or will full HD streaming look worse on the Asus?
EDIT: I should explain why the Asus? Passive cooling basically. I've read the reviews that say it's one of the few boards that runs Full HD streaming with passive cooling. If I go the Gigabyte mobo, I guess I have to stick a Zalman on similar on top?

(2012-11-12, 01:55)mossywell Wrote: Does that mean the Asus E45M-1 won't work? As in, I thought that if it works, it works. Or will full HD streaming look worse on the Asus?

The issue with Netflix HD is it uses Microsoft Silverlight. Silverlight isn't always GPU accelerated so the CPU is needed to render and the CPU is not powerful enough for the task. Does Netflix UK have HD material?

I think too for the price the E45M just isn't as good a value as something like a Celeron/Pentium + H61 motherboard. The Intel HD graphics are good for 1080p and streaming and when the HD graphics aren't being used the CPU is powerful enough for rendering. Also, and I haven't tried it myself, there seem to be a lot of reports here about AMD not being great on Linux. Intel and especially NVIDIA seem to be much better supported.

(2012-11-12, 02:01)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 01:55)mossywell Wrote: Does that mean the Asus E45M-1 won't work? As in, I thought that if it works, it works. Or will full HD streaming look worse on the Asus?

The issue with Netflix HD is it uses Microsoft Silverlight. Silverlight isn't always GPU accelerated so the CPU is needed to render and the CPU is not powerful enough for the task. Does Netflix UK have HD material?

I think too for the price the E45M just isn't as good a value as something like a Celeron/Pentium + H61 motherboard. The Intel HD graphics are good for 1080p and streaming and when the HD graphics aren't being used the CPU is powerful enough for rendering. Also, and I haven't tried it myself, there seem to be a lot of reports here about AMD not being great on Linux. Intel and especially NVIDIA seem to be much better supported.
Good answer - cheers. Much to think about there. Yes, there is Full HD 1080p streaming from Lovefilm (a Netflix competitor). I suspect the terrestrial channels will eventually follow suit.

Depending on the software they use for rendering, it might be OK. It's hard to say. I would search for users with experience using E-350/E-450 and Lovefilm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My head is spinning with possibilities for HTPC...0